The Attack

"This was very risky Dad... you failed" I paused to listen on my way to Uncle EJ's office. The voice came from Uncle Azhars office.

Major Zaroon continued. "The princess doesn't trust me" my eye twitched at his condescending tone.

"She's worried about her mother and rightfully so," Uncle Azhar said, his voice low and cautious. I inched closer to the door. I heard footsteps behind me and I hurriedly straightened up to walk to uncles room.

"Are you okay? What is going on? Why are you on the floor?" Uncle EJ grimaced as I rushed to him and pointed towards a bottle placed on the desk. I picked it up, gave it to him with a glass of water and helped him off the floor.

"Shall I ask for the doctor to be brought?" he shook his head in denial.

"I am alright kid. Just need to get some rest. I'll be fine. It's been a long night" I nodded in understanding. "It's just a headache"

"Even so"

"I got the meds from the doctor. I'll get some sleep during the afternoon before the guests start to arrive" I nodded and sat on the chair that was placed in front of him. His table was littered with files and floor plans of the castle.

"Are we looking at the secret tunnels?" I said examining the maps.

"No one knows about the secret tunnels. It's a family thing" I chewed on the inside of my cheek, my mind flashing back to what I had heard before. "Maybe someone does" Uncle EJ looked at me.

"What do you mean?" I relayed what I had heard. "Huh, well eavesdropping is never a good idea Elena, it leads to misconceptions. There is something else in play. We have reports of an underground movement in the city"

"A what? Against who? Murad?"

"No, us. Murad is just as concerned. It's probably why he wants to talk to you."

"Why was this not in any of the reports"

"It's classified information. We're talking about the youth. We have student unions demanding change. Possible organization of protests as the elections come close." I looked at my uncle, my heart clenching in fear.

"I... we haven't done anything, have we?"I added fearfully. He averted his eyes in an admission of guilt. "What is it? Why is no one telling me everything?" A knock sounded on the door as my uncle placed a finger on his lips. I glared at him in frustration.

We could not have a single conversation without someone interrupting us. Major Zaroon stepped into the room with his father and they both gave us short nods. I stared at them with pursed lips, the word princess resonating in my ears.

"The staff alibis have all checked out. We're looking at a possible intruder"

"Or someone smart enough to cover his tracks," I said looking at Uncle Azhar. He looked tired but had no marks on his face.

"You think someone let the attacker in? Noor was already in the library, how could he have sneaked up behind her?" Uncle EJ said.

"Through the balcony doors, they could have waited for her to be left alone!" I said, the pieces coming together. "Someone got that person in and hid him in an adjoining room. The balconies are only a short distance apart, someone could have climbed on to the library balcony"

"What's the room that is next to the library?", Major Zaroon asked, his eyes bright.

"The throne room" all three of us exhaled at the same time. The throne room was only used for ceremonial purposes. No one actually sat on the short, stout chair. "She was attacked on a Saturday, isn't the throne room open to the public on Saturdays?" I asked getting up and walking to Uncle EJ's desk.

"Yes, from 9 am to 3 pm" The hours that she was attacked. I sighed in defeat.

"It's a good theory, but it negates people in the castle. It could have been anyone" Uncle Azhar said gently. I turned around to face him.

"Anyone? Anyone who decided to bypass the guards there, climb from one balcony to another and enter a room that is known to be off limits? What about the CCTV footage? There are no cameras in the library but what about the throne room? Someone knew the layout of the castle. All of this may be old construction but for someone to be this bold? We already have a snitch in the castle, it could be the same person"

"Who's this snitch?"

"I don't know," I answered Uncle EJ. "But Murad knows about Ammi Jaan getting attacked I am sure of it. He'll be here to see how well I manage things and what he can negotiate" deafening silence greeted my words.

"Do you want to know... about our collaboration with him Begum Sahiba?" Uncle Azhar said mopping his brow with a handkerchief.

"Yes, he'll be here in 30 minutes"

"And what about the wedding prep? Will you be overseeing that as well?"

"Yes, everything. I expect every single thing to be on my desk as soon as I am done with my meeting with Murad. Also, I want the relevant people to be there too. I'll ask Izzy to contact Hania and see what we can work around. Ammi is insistent that the wedding must go on. We need the CCTV footage of the throne room." All three of the man bowed their heads in agreement.

"Now, what is this revolution that my uncle speaks of?" I said settling into uncles chair, ready to take notes.

Murad Saeed was a stocky man from a well to do family. His family had been close friends to Gulzar Mahal and had been rewarded for their efforts throughout the last seventy years of Pakistan's political history. His eyes shown with disguised glee as I sat in front of him.

"Begum Sahiba, it's so nice to see you back. I hope you'll be staying here for a while"

"It's good to be back Murad. Tell me, how are your constituents?" his face fell at the mention of his constituency. "They have had a history of being problematic, do they not?"

"It's just politics ma'am...you know how it is", my mouth rose up in a brief smile. Ask any politician if things were bad, they'd always reply with, it is just politics. Ask them if things were good and they'd sing their own praises.

"Hmm... and how is the new bill coming along? Have we decided on who's signing off on it?"

"As soon as the elections are done, that'll be the first thing on the agenda. It should help calm down this new wave"

"I would hope so", Murad leaned in closer, his hands pressed together. I steeled myself for the inevitable question.

"Is...Bari Begum Sahiba well? That is to say, she's not here and you are"

"Bari Begum Sahiba is very well. As for other questions, yes I am back. After all, I am the next to sit in line, as you are well aware. So tell me, why are you here today?" He swallowed and looked at his intertwined hands.

"There has been a demand"

"A demand?" I asked sharply. "From whom?"

"The...they call themselves the 'New Revolutionaries'. You must be aware of the current political climate" I nodded, encouraging him to continue. "They claim to be against the system, these students... they want to end elitism. After the rise in prices and the corruption charges..."

"What does that have to do with us?" Murad gulped at the hard tone.

"Your Uncle is about to be convicted on those charges Begum Sahiba"

****************************************************************************************

Poor Elena, she can't catch a break can she?