Promise me

Ahsan led me towards the small reception room near the main doors. Laughter flowed out of the open door. Sharing a quizzical glance, Ahsan and I walked into the room.

Hussein stood near the mantle with a kindly looking elderly man. The man looked to be fifty years old and half his height. Whoever had directed them into the room had also served them with tea and biscuits. I'd have to thank Andaleeb for that consideration.

"Hussein," I said in a way of greeting. He turned around to smile at me.

"Inspector Nasir, it is my pleasure to introduce you to our Khanum" I smiled in greeting.

Inspector Nasir smiled and tried to go in for a short bow but lost his balance and nearly toppled over. I gasped as both Hussein and Ahsan moved forward to catch him.

"Pleasure to meet you, my apologies. I'm not so young anymore. These knees are close to giving out."

"Oh no, there's nothing to forgive. Please, have a seat" he chuckled gratefully and walked to sit in one of the armchairs. The three of us remained standing.

"Very tricky this, I have the arrest warrant in my file. This is unusual Khanum, I was not expecting the fervor. I do not know Ehsan Sahib personally, but I have heard about him. I had to call Jamshed Sahib for permission. I did not think Ehsan Sahib was... I'm sorry, if you'll permit this, you're a little young to be the mother of two Ma'am" the unexpected candidness caught me off guard and I laughed.

"And here I thought my plan was working" Hussein laughed along with me. Inspector Nasir blushed and mumbled another apology. Honestly, how was this guy in the police? He was too nice. "I'm Elena Gulzar Khan"

"The daughter... oh, that makes sense. Huh, righto. So beta (daughter) is your Uncle here?" my face darkened as I came back to reality. Complicated emotions swirled around at the mention of Uncle EJ's name. "If it's not too much trouble, I want to get this done quickly, my daughter is getting married in a few weeks and the house is a mess. All those people..."

"Of course..." I nodded towards Ahsan and he walked out to get Uncle EJ. Inspector Nasir got comfortable in the chair and he started going through his file. Hussein gestured for me to sit down and poured me a cup of tea.

"Everything will be okay... he's a good man. He'll treat Uncle Ehsan with respect and if you want, I can hire the lawyer to get the bail application sorted out tonight" lawyer, bail. I wasn't even thinking about that. This was legal stuff 101 and... Izzy!

I took out my phone to message Izzy. I gave an offhand nod and took a sip. The scalding hot tea cleared my mind and jogged my brain.

Ahsan walked in with Uncle EJ, Rania, and Zaroon. I forced my face to remain blank as he walked in. Feroze seemed to have disappeared to get ready to greet his wife and Rania told me that Ammi Jaan had said her goodbyes and had retired to her room.

"Inspector Nasir" Uncle EJ said shaking the man's hand warmly.

"Ehsan Sahib. I had hoped we would meet in better circumstances."

"No time like the present" Uncle EJ said lightly. My heart clenched at the thought of him in jail. He was still my uncle. My blood.

"Uh... here's the arrest warrant. I have already shown it to Hussein Sahib. You have to keep it for your record, court proceedings and such. I hope there would be no need for handcuffs? Nasty things" we all shook our heads, alarmed. I took the warrant glancing over the charges. "Right on... I'll let you say your goodbyes, I'll be outside" I nearly started to cry at his consideration. Hussein led him out of the room. After a sharp glance from Rania, Zaroon excused himself too.

"Well, I guess this is it," Uncle EJ said once the door had closed. Rania sniffled and I saw her wipe a tear away.

"This is not it. I will hire a lawyer tonight. We'll have your bail application in front of the judge first thing tomorrow" he smiled at me.

"So young and so soon," he said placing a hand on my cheek. I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I'm sorry Eli bear. I didn't think... just know I had reasons"

"You always have reasons" I whispered, a tear escaping my eyes. Rania stood in the middle her face conflicted, tears falling out of her eyes. I nodded at her and she lurched forward to hug him.

"I would never hurt the two of you or your mother..." I nodded to show that I understood what he was trying to say. Someone knocked on the door. Our time was up. "I would not let anyone hurt you. Give him a chance Eli" what?

He was still talking about Zaroon? At this point? "There's so much you don't know. I told him not to tell you. He knows, he'll guide you... that's what I wanted"

"What?" Rania whispered, her face echoing the confusion I felt.

"He loves you. He'll protect you. At least till I come back. Promise me that you'll keep him with you. Don't let him go. You'll need him. There are dark days ahead..." Inspector Nasir poked his head into the room.

"Sorry to interrupt, but we have to go, before the news of your arrest leaks to the media. We want to avoid the crowds" We nodded and used tissues to wipe away our tears. We walked out of the room to see Izzy and Hania, standing there, in shock.

"Elena, what is going on?" He said coming towards me. "Zaroon tells me, Uncle EJ..."

"Take care of them and yourself Izzhaan" Uncle EJ said placing his hand on Izzy's shoulder. Izzy looked shocked. He nodded towards Hania and we watched as Inspector Nasir started to lead him out of the door. Rania let out a sob and both Hussein and Izzy started to comfort her. As he reached the threshold I could not bear it. I ran towards him and enveloped him in a hug.

"I will get you out. I promise" I said, my words muffled in his shirt. He stroked my hair. I pulled back to look at him.

"Promise me" he whispered. I looked at him confused. "Promise me you'll let him stay" was he still going on about Zaroon? "Please"

"Sir, we have to go," Inspector Nasir said, impatience finally seeping into his tone.

"Promise!" Uncle EJ urged as Inspector Nasir tried to push him towards the door.

"We have to go. Please don't make me use handcuffs"

"I promise" I whispered. Calm descended on his face and he allowed Inspector Nasir to seat him in the police mobile. Another police officer sat in the driver's seat, his gaze awestruck as he looked at the castle.

Uncle EJ sat in the police car in a dignified manner. He looked at me and gave me a reassuring smile. I felt two hands intertwine with mine and I held them as if my life depended on it. As the mobile drove away, he looked towards the west wing, searching for that one person.

I knew she was watching.

****************************************************************************************