Doomsday could not come soon enough

I unclenched my jaw. Murad looked visibly scared as I tried to control my temper.
"You knew about this? You lied! And you ask why people are upset?"
"They... it's a federal issue"
"Health is a provincial department. You're the Minister of Health"
"We don't get funds from the government"

"You get more than enough. I want this to be fixed. Do you understand me? In the next week, I also want you to have a fund set up so any person who needs the money can access it and can pay it back"
"We don't have the money..."
"If you say that again I will make sure to let the authorities know about your sugar trade Murad" his face changed to white. "Health care is a basic human right"

I stared at him, making sure to convey my anger with my eyes. Murad nodded and exited, promising to send me a report of his activities the next day.

"You shouldn't have been here," I said, trying to stop the bleeding with a tissue. Zaroon stepped forward and stood near me, looking at my palm. My nails had broken through the skin. Small beads of blood glistened in the sunlight.

"I wanted to make sure you would not murder him"
"I should have..." he gave out a short laugh.
"May I?" He asked gesturing to my hand. I nodded and he gently turned my hand to get a better look. "You won't need to get an amputation" I stared at him in surprise.
"Was that a joke?" He looked at me, his eyes bright.
"I can fix this for you..." he said as I moved my hand away. I shook my head.
"It's fine. The bleeding has stopped."

The door opened and Andaleeb stepped into the room. We both took an inadvertent step back.
"Begum Sahiba... Your Aunt Mamo has requested that you join her for tea" cold entered my body.
"Just me?"
"Yes" well crap.
"Tell her I am indisposed" I was not going to face her. Preferably ever.
"Of course"
"How's Aziz?" She smiled, her eyes lighting up with relief.
"Much better Begum Sahiba. Thank you for your help yesterday"
"Don't mention it" she nodded and left the room.

"Aunt Mamo?" he asked conversationally and I gave him a sharp look.
It was true that I felt a bit more comfortable in his presence but Zaroon was still Uncle Azhar's son. Ammi Jaans' secretary. I was not ready to share my family issues with him.

I shrugged in reply and exited the room to find my sister. The four of us had decided to have dinner in my room. Hania and Rania talked about the wedding details and Izzy told me about who was coming to the wedding. I was also re-reading all of the reports and underlining everything that stood out to me.

"Your Aunt Mamo is scary" Hania commented to Rania. Rania nodded and helped herself to the steak. I smirked in agreement. It was hard to believe that I had been ready to become her daughter in law.

"She'll be gone soon after the wedding... 'I won't stay here a moment longer Noor, the salt in the air damages my skin'. Ugh." Izzy imitated her high and whiny voice.

"She's a little tough to impress that's all" I chided gently. Hania looked at me with her eyes open wide.

"I pity the woman who gets married to her sons" Rania gave a short awkward laugh and proceeded to change the subject.

The next four days leading up to the wedding were spent in trying to avoid my relatives, manage the affairs of the castle and stay stress-free. I can safely say I managed to accomplish two of those goals. Uncle EJ had explicitly told me to let Zaroon work and not to hound him all the time, so I had not seen him in a couple of days. Zaroon had still not managed to find the would-be assassins and the police were exceptionally unhelpful. Rania and Hania were busy handling the wedding details until Ammi Jaan commanded Hania to leave and get some rest. Izzy had decided to go on a boy's trip to London and planned to return the day before the wedding.