There never is a good time for tough decisions

The whole household seemed to have plunged into chaos. The last of the guests were leaving and bags were being placed in the relevant cars. I did not go out to say goodbye to Farishta and her husband. Aunt Laila had left right after the luncheon yesterday with her five daughters following behind her. I sat at the breakfast table, flipping through the morning newspaper when Ammi Jaan walked into the room.

"Morning" I greeted, taking a bite from my toast. She sat at the head of the table as Uncle EJ and Rania walked in.

"Morning kid. When's your flight?" Uncle EJ said, sitting beside me. Rania motioned for me to hand her the jug containing orange juice.

"It was in the afternoon," I said handing the jug to her.

"Was?" Ammi Jaan muttered.

"Uh... I thought I would hang out for a little longer" as soon the words escaped my mouth, I felt my stomach flutter in anticipation.

"How much longer?" Ammi Jaan asked, her eyes shining. I smiled.

"As long as I possibly can"

"So, you quit your job?" Rania said, her eyes wide.

"I figured my skills were needed somewhere else" Uncle EJ put his arm around my shoulders and kissed the top of my head.

"Begum Sahiba! Begum Sahiba!" Andaleeb burst into the room, her face white.

"What is it Andaleeb?" Ammi Jaan asked, her tone sharp.

"Someone tried to kill Murad"

Two hours later, all of us stood in front of the television. The city was in chaos. Murad was still in the hospital, the doctors said he was to be observed for the next twenty-four hours. He had been attacked by an unhappy constituent. Someone whos land had been taken by the government because he could not pay his taxes. Unemployment and lack of food had driven the man desperate enough to attack a minister. Uncle EJ talked to the hospital officials and Rania stood in the corner crafting a statement from Gulzar Mahal.

Izzy and Hania sat together on the couch, their hands intertwined. Ammi Jaan had ordered them to remain in the castle until this situation was under control.

"Begum Sahiba... " Zaroon entered the room. All of us turned to look at him. "There are reports that... a crowd is headed to the castle gates" I put my head in my hands. "It's not looking good"

The room erupted with gasps and suggestions. Uncle Azhar, who had followed Zaroon into the room, added his own opinion. I looked around the room. Poor Murad, he'd made a mistake and now he was fighting for his life. The man who had attacked him was desperate for a reason. His method had been wrong but his plight was understandable.

"Rania, how are we coming along with the statement?" she showed me the paper she was working on. "This is good but there is no mention for an inquiry"

"We're supposed to remain neutral"

"There is a crowd of protesters headed our way, we can't be neutral anymore. They clearly think we have something to do with this"

"You're right. What do you want to do?" she said understanding the glint in my eye. I whispered my plan to her.

"What are the two of you whispering about?" Uncle EJ called out, his face lined with worry. I counted the people in the room. I needed four votes in my favour.

"We were thinking..." I began. Seven pairs of eyes turned to look at me.

"You were thinking" Rania hissed from behind me. I rolled my eyes.