In the midst of chaos, we find peace

I felt like I was in a daze. I was watching the news coverage with Rania's feet on my lap and I could not believe my ears. We were being lauded for what we had done. People were seeing our point of view. Finally. Somehow, the news reporters had found and interviewed the taxi driver that had taken me to the market that day. He was ecstatic. His business was booming now. People had sought him out. Even some of the shopkeepers came forward to express their views.

Everything was being discussed, from my outfit to my shoes. I started to feel self-conscious as they panned over a shot of me. Had I gained weight? My lineage was also a topic of national debate, with analysts arguing about the line of succession. I rolled my eyes and turned to face Uncle EJ who had an irritated expression on his face.

"It'll only get worse" he murmured not taking his eyes off the screen.

"Do we know the why who and how of today's attack?"

"My best men are on it. We can't trust any of the previous men. They're also investigating the assassination attempt. Apparently the castle footage had been tampered with, we've got a mole" my heart clenched. I was not safe in my home. "You'll have to be kept under guard... at all times now" great, more guards. I stretched out, ignoring Rania's protests. After the third hour, I gave up and decided to walk around the castle. My trusty group of four guards started to follow me as I stepped into my office. I turned around to face them.

"Hi," a mummer of replies followed my greeting. "Since we'll be spending most of our time together, it would be nice to know your names" they glanced at each other. The one in the front cleared his throat and stepped forward after giving me a short bow.

"My name is Ahsan. It's an honor to serve you Begum Sahiba"

"Ahsan, it's an honor to have you in my team" I replied with a smile. He gave me another short bow and stepped back into the group. The guy with a cool bird tattoo stepped forward.

"My name is GI. Khan, Begum Sahiba" I nodded and gave him a bright smile. He smiled back.

"My name is Hamesh, Begum Sahiba" His eyes twinkled with mischief after his head rose from the bow. I fought a wide smile.

"Jackson, Begum Sahiba" His mustache twitched and I nodded as he too gave me a bow.

"Well, it's nice to be acquainted with you gentlemen. Since you're on the day cycle, I've got some rules. Please try and avoid crowding me. I respect your position and understand that you have certain instructions to follow but I would appreciate the consideration" they nodded to show their understanding. "I also hope that it is understood that anything that is discussed with me or the people around me is confidential. I will not stand for any gossip or leakages" more nods. "And above all, you gentleman have my utmost trust, I sincerely hope you do not let me down. We are all comrades in this"

"Understood, Begum Sahiba" Ahsan said.

"Thank you"

It was 10 in the evening and I was tired. I was going over the list of southern leaders arriving at the house tomorrow and I was seeing double. Hussein's dad was going to be here tomorrow. Was that why he decided to stay? Probably.

Putting my head in my hands, I took a few deep breaths and went over my day. Wow, had it been a crazy day. Faced an ex, almost died, felt unsafe in my own city and addressed a crowd. All in a span of 12 hours. Relaxing on the chair I looked up at the ceiling.

What was I doing? What was going to happen tomorrow? We'd made it today... what about when those people got arrested? What if they did not get arrested? What if Naila's dad came after me politically? He knew how to play the game, I was a novice. How far should I support Feroze? We were allies for now but if he posed a counterclaim to Gulzar Mahal, what was I going to do?