Guests, like fish, begin to smell after 3 days

"Uncle EJ hasn't held any political office" I countered, my mind panicking at a new scandal. No wonder he was sitting alone with a headache. "This is different from the recent charges"

"He has bribed people," he said looking at me with a knowing gaze. I kept quiet. "He tried to bribe the interior minister and now the courts are coming after him" I gave him a calculating look.

"How soon will the news of the allegations be made public?"

He smiled at my choice of words. "Around the wedding" wonderful. I gave him a cool look and gestured for him to have the tea that was now being served to him. "I am available if you need any assistance" the only thing I wanted from him was to get out of my house.

"Well, this was certainly informative. I am sure you have other places to be, people to meet" I got up abruptly. He staggered to his feet. "Do finish the tea, our cook has concocted a special brew for guests. Goodbye minster " He nodded with his mouth hanging open. I took the file placed on the table and exited the room in a flourish.

A few paces later, as I got out of the room, I bumped into my least favorite person.

"Begum Sahiba"

"Eavesdropping are we?" Major Zaroon crossed his arms at the accusation.

"Wouldn't be the first time someone has done that here would it?" he snapped back. How dare he. He really was impertinent and rude. I glared at him.

"I don't know what you're talking about" I denied, not moving out of his way. He stared at me trying to get me to back down. Honestly the nerve of this man. He was looking into my eyes trying to will me into agreeing with him.

"You're a good liar. Must be the years of practice you've had here"

"Do you have a problem with me, Major? Or this place?" I snapped. His jaw clenched and he lowered his head.

"No"

"Then move out of my way," I said and started to walk towards my room. 

"Word of advice Begum Sahiba? You shouldn't have crouched. Crouching hampers you from getting up and trying to pass by smoothly" I was proud that my steps did not falter as I continued to walk towards the library.

So he knew I had heard his conversation with his father. My list of troubles was growing by the minute and I still had a bride and her guests to deal with.

A few hours later, Rania found me in the library getting coached by Uncle Azhar. At her entrance, Uncle Azhar left the room after a short bow.

"You look terrible," she said placing a packet of biscuits on the table in front of me.

"It's like being back in Uni" I answered tearing into the packet. She laughed sardonically.

"Well, get ready because Aunt Laila and her gaggle of geese are here" I groaned. Why was she the first one to get here? "Oh and Feroze sent a letter to Ammi Jaan excusing himself from the wedding, apparently, Uncle EJ told Aunt Mamo that Ammi had been attacked. So silver lining I guess?" She rattled. The coward was going to sit this one out. Thank God.

"Uncle EJ is to be convicted with bribery and corruption charges some time near the wedding" I replied stuffing a biscuit in my mouth. Rania stared at me in shock. "He tried to bribe the interior minister, allegedly, and the guy is after him"

"The... what"

"And now you have to help me convince Hania to try to make this wedding a bit more public-friendly because oh get this, we also have a possible revolution on our hands and those people are not playing around"