Barely breathing.

Rustling sounds of small animals scurrying under the thick ferns and over the thousands of brittle branches and twigs surrounded me. The constant breeze, gently swaying in its caress calmed my red and heated face. The monsoon rains had left the ground soggy and now my bare feet were caked with mud, twigs, and leaves. I had no idea where I was but I didn't dare stop.

The knife hadn't gone far enough into the flesh, I knew he was right behind me. Unfortunately, I had zero weapons training and at best, the knife would have damaged him severely. I was sure I had only broken skin. Taking short breaths, I looked at the phone in my hand. This was an important piece of evidence that could incriminate him.

Keeping my ears trained for any noises, I swiped to get to the contact list. Ugh, he had it password protected. Using the emergency dial, I dialed for emergency services.

"1122, what's your emergency?"
"I've been kidnapped and I'm stuck in a weird forest... this phone isn't mine, please send someone to find me"
"Miss calm down, we're tracking your location right now, are you in any danger?"

The sound of something moving had me moving closer to the tree. "Yes," I whispered.
"Do not worry. A unit has been dispatched. You're in the southern Akbarabad woods. Just near the main castle, can you get to the castle?"

Oh, he had been smart. He had hidden me in plain sight. No one would have thought of searching the castle grounds. Especially, in the woods. I was sure that no one was even aware of the hunter's cabin. It was sequestered away in a corner, forgotten. He must have used the tunnels to drag me out. No one would have seen me. That's how he had snuck up on Ammi Jaan in the library. I had been right after all.

"Yes, I think I can"
"Okay, I'm monitoring your position. It's okay, I'm with you" A bolt of raw adrenaline shot through my veins, taking a deep breath, I held on to the phone and sprinted across the main grounds.

I felt my heart calm down with every step. This was familiar territory. I knew my way out of here. I was nearly there. I was going to make it. It was going to be okay.

After 10 minutes of continuous running, I saw the castle lights. Struggling for breath, I reached the stables and searched for Duchess. Tired, I wrapped my arms around my ribs, trying to regain some lung control. The stable boys were probably asleep in the castle and I didn't have time to find the saddles and reins.

I whistled for Duchess and heard her neigh from the back. Opening up her stall, I gestured towards her. Upon recognition, she bounded towards me, searching for treats.

"Come on girl, we need to get to the castle" I whispered, throwing a nearby blanket on her and sliding on to her bareback.

"Ma'am, are you okay? The unit has reached the castle gates" oh thank God.
"Yes, I'm on my way. Please stay on the call" and with that, I kicked Duchess into a trot.

I saw the castle rush towards me.

Police car lights shined from a distance and I had never been more happy to see the red and blue. My palpable relief was felt by my horse. She started to run faster, trying to get me towards safety.

I could now make out the outline of the officers who stood there.

"I see them" I whispered into the phone.
"Very good, I've let them know you're on your way. What's your name, Ma'am?"
"My name is Elena..." a loud crack stopped me from completing the sentence.

Fear gripped my insides. That was not a good noise. How had he caught up so quickly?

"Ma'am, are you okay?"
"Fine" I snapped trying to urge Duchess to ride faster. She neighed, understanding my urgency, increasing her speed. I bounced around trying hard to keep my balance by holding on to her mane.

The second crack was much louder. A whizz sounded in the air and then I heard an inhuman cry. A scream exited my throat as I felt Duchess jolt. My beautiful horse buckled underneath me and I went flying off of her. Several voices cried out in unison as she fell to the ground.

I flew through the air, watching the ground rush to meet me and I heard a loud crack on impact. Pain sizzled up my right shoulder and I felt the bone as it dislocated.

A second shot rang out in the air and I felt something move inches away from where my head had been. Taking cover in the grass, I tried to do a quick physical check.

My body ached from the fall but my fingers were still holding on to the phone in my hand. The pain made my vision blur and I saw the faint outlines of people rushing towards me. I moved my head to the side, only to see my beloved horse lying on the ground, bleeding.

Tears rushed into my eyes. The poor animal. Her eyes were wide open in pain. I could not even crawl over to offer her comfort. Her stomach was covered with dark shiny blood. I held her gaze as she heaved in her final breaths, her leg twitching, her eyes finally closing in eternal slumber.

My poor horse. My savior.

I lay on the ground, sobbing, feeling a lump form above my left eye. The ringing in my head was getting louder and the voices seemed to be much closer now. A squelch let me know that someone was headed towards my direction. The mud squished under the heavy body and I felt the presence of someone standing over me.

With a sigh of defeat, I stopped moving. Tired and broken, I closed my eyes and floated towards blessed oblivion.

******************************************************************************