Chapter 6

I stood in my shower, i felt tired. That was to be expected however as my power to never tire in battle by controlling my adrenaline levels wore off as i stopped over exerting myself in a fight.

My body ached slightly, this concerned me as i couldn't feel pain.

Was I loosing my powers?

There was a sharp, excruciating pain in my chest it felt like someone had put a match to my lungs after dousing them in gasoline.

My breathing became laboured, each breath brought upon a sharp stab of agnony.

I erupted into a coughing fit using my hand cover my mouth, this caused the pain in my lungs to worsen. I felt a warm sticky substance on my hand and when I looked down I saw it was blood... My blood.

"What the hell?" I whispered to myself not wanting to let Eli hear me as well as I knew he'd be able to with his super hearing.

I thought back to any missions I went on as a one off during my retirement.
I remembered a specific one.

I had been hired to steal a Partical excelerator from a S. T. A. R labs facility in Jump city.

I had accidentally activated it and I ended up being hit with a wave of
What I later assumed was harmful Radiation.

Shit, could I have gotten Cancer from that! I began to panic after the court experiments I never considered the possibility of dying ever again.

Because physically I couldn't, but now I might actually die if I'm right about the lung cancer.

The radio was on, one of my favourite songs was played.

Wings by birdy

"Sun light comes creeping in
Illuminates our skin,
We watched the day go by
Stories of what we did.
It made me think of you,
It made me think if you.".

I sang along, my voice filled with powerful emotion. This song brought back old memories of myself and Slade.  He sang this to me whenever I felt down. It always used to cheer me up.

Eli walked past Renegades room, he stopped listening to the younger boy singing.

"Oh lights go down
In the moment we're lost and found
I just wanna be by your side
If these wings could fly.
Oh damn these walls
In the moment we're ten feet tall
And how you told me after it all
We'd remember tonight
For the rest of our lives."

Eli thought that Rylands voice was beautiful. It was beyond angelic, it brought tears to the other boys eyes as his voice was so full of emotion.
H

e couldn't stop listening, he was hypnotised by the amazing sound.

The song ended and Eli heard another begin to play.

He leant against the wall, content to listen to Ryland sing again.

"He rocks in the tree tops all day long

Hoppin' and a-boppin' and singing his song
All the little birdies on Jaybird Street
Love to hear the robin go tweet tweet tweet

Rockin' robin, rock rock
Rockin' robin'
Blow rockin' robin
'Cause we're really gonna rock tonight

Every little swallow, every chick-a-dee
Every little bird in the tall oak tree
The wise old owl, the big black crow
Flappin' their wings singing go bird go