Chapter 5

"Ok, what was that about?" Amelia asked as she carried some of her bags to the car. Ella also had a couple of bags, for Amelia had picked up most of her necessary items for the trip. Amelia had been puzzling over what had gone on in that store. David and Ella, two people she would have normally considered courteous, well-bred, and sophisticated had both resorted to the kind of behaviour she expected to see in a small sandpit full of children. But then, Amelia realised this was normal practice for David and Ella. It was just that they didn't meet too often.

"What?" Ella was revisiting what had gone on in that store. She was right to avoid him. He still detested her. She still liked him. More than liked him if her heartbeat was anything to go by. But she had found a strategy to deal with the discrepancy in their attitudes to each other. Basically, just avoid the man: Turn around; Cross the road; Don't join any clubs that David might be a member; have no friends in his social circle; speak to him only if you have to. But she was going to have to changed her strategy, because if Amelia becomes a friend of Jack or David, that would mean she could not avoid him.

"Ella! You know I'm classified gifted. So stop pretending I'm stupid!" Amelia unlocked the car and tossed the bags she was carrying into the boot. She waited for Ella to put her bags into the boot. "Why were you and David snipping at each other." That was the problem, either they snapped at each other or they ignore each other completely.

"You'll have to ask him." The defensive tone was automatic. Ella shrugged as if it doesn't matter to her. Sometimes it is better to just walk away, just a pity that she had not thought that before she got into that dialogue with David. It had occurred to Ella that she would have to work on her strategies, if Amelia was successful in her pursuit of Jack. If Amelia and Jack become an item, that would automatically put David and Ella in the same social circles.

"I'm asking you." Amelia's eyes narrowed, which normally didn't bother Ella.

On the outside, Ella was cool, but her insides were churning. She was over this. She kept reminding her head. She was over him, she remind her heart.

"You know, you are no shrinking violent!"

Amelia smiled and said, "Exactly. Thanks to you, Ella. In any case, that is why I asked you!"

Finally Ella offered with a frown, "I don't like him." Ella looked directly at Amelia, and stated quietly. "I don't like him at all!" Not exactly the truth.

Stunned by her statement, Amelia blurted, "You don't like him? David?" Amelia seemed bemused by that statement. "But he's such a nice guy. He is really nice. You saw how he helped today. I mean he was so patient."

"If you say so." Her guard was reinforced as she braced for Amelia's questions.

"He really helped us back then. He was really friendly. He's..."

"What? As nice as Jack?" Time to change Amelia's focus. And Ella knew that if she brought up Jack, the conversation would change.

Amelia pouted then demanded. "Why are you bringing Jack into this conversation?"

"Maybe because I think we were at his store so that you could meet him." She tipped her head to the side and added, "Not just to shop for the kit. We were there for him."

Of course that was the reason for this trip to this store. But Amelia shrugged and looked away. "Err. I had to go to the shop." She pouted again. "You know I needed the kit for the trip." She rolled her eyes when Ella just grinned. "Honestly, Ella! That's all. Ok!"

"Ames, I'm not classified 'gifted' nothing like you, but I'm not stupid either." Ella raised her eyebrows and continued to grin. "You could see him at the meetings. In fact, I think there is a meeting tonight? I doubt he expected you to shop for your kit before the meeting, you could get it any time. The question is, why now. Why the rush? Your first question when we arrived at the shop, you asked if he was there."