Chapter 12

While Evie and Amelia continued to bicker, Ella, in her mind, started to review her initial meeting with David, nearly ten years ago. She remembered she was really nervous, and she was reticent when he came over to her at the end of the session. Initially, her responses were short, mainly one word replies, pure gauche, but he'd just kept talking, oozing confidence. He was a self-assured, young, fit man. And by the time he'd headed off for a shower, they had been talking like long lost friends. She still remembered that: the fact that he could talk to anyone. Even now, living in this town, she knew he still had that skill. A skill that was natural to him.

It might explain his vast social circle and his flourishing, dynamic dating history. Despite his dating history was littered with ex-girlfriends, they all spoke of him with warmth and sincere affection. Two years of seeing him around, seeing him with other women, and you'd think you'd get over it, she berated herself silently as she, strove for a modicum of control. In the last few weeks, as Amelia's interest in Jack flourished, Ella had started to think that perhaps it was time to leave. She could not stay because she would have to meet him more and would not be easy. When, if Amelia and Jack's relationship blossoms, she will be pleased for Amelia, but it would not make it better for Ella. It would throw her into David's path, on a regular basis and that was not a good idea for her mental health.

Amelia realised that she and Evie had ignored Ella, so she turned her gaze back to Ella and said, "Ella, then what?""

Ella shrugged at the pair of them. "I told you, he went off to get a shower." Not exactly the truth. The rest of the group showered. David didn't. Not right then. He stayed to talk. Just the two of them. Even now, just that moment was etched in her brain. The fact that he stayed. That he took time to talk to her, ignored the people around, and focused on her. She felt as if she was the centre of his universe and that made her heartbeat to escalate, as if she had just come off the training pitch.

Amelia was not good at waiting. "This is like pulling out a tooth!" Amelia grumbled grouchily under her breath and she could seefrom Ella's eyes, that there was more to this..

Evie said with confidence, "They arranged to met up, obviously!"

Amelia asked impatiently, "And you know that?" Raised an eyebrow. "Given your experience on the date scene?"

Evie smirked. "Yeah! Simple. They arranged a date. Voila. And they kissed."

"Really! Ok then smarty-pants, what are the details? When, how, where!" Amelia interjected. Amelia rolled her eyes at Evie. She summarised the information, "He got hurt, she brought the first aid kit, there were lots of people around, and the result? A kiss! Hardly." A frown marred her brow.

Evie chewed on her lower lip and scratched her head. She turned towards Ella, "Err, Ella, when did you kiss him?"

"David said he was practically accused of taking advantage of Ella." Amelia reminded quietly. Evie and Amelia looked over at Ella. Ella knew she just needed a minute or two to pull herself together and brace for new bombardment of questions. Of course Evie and Amelia will want details. Telling someone about your first adult kiss should involve a happy finale, not the start of a nightmare.

Ella replied truthfully, "I didn't kiss him." She felt remarkably composed despite the fact that her friends would expect more details.

Amelia tipped her chin in defiance, "He said you kissed him."

Back to being defensive and defiant, Ella folded her arms and contemplated her for a second, before saying softly, "Not on the first day!" That first day, they had left with an implicit understanding that they would meet again, tomorrow. He didn't ask her to return tomorrow, he didn't tell her that they would see each other again, she, like David just knew they would see each other tomorrow."You arranged to meet?" A genuine smile appeared.