Chapter 64

As per plan, Greg dropped Amelia, Jack, David and Ella at the passenger terminal and waited at the short-term parking, just in case they needed assistance. He was also worried that Ella would baulk at the last moment, because during the drive down, Ella had barely spoke. In the car, Jack Amelia and Ella sat in the back seat, while David sat in the passenger seat beside Greg. Greg concentrated on his driving, Amelia and Jack rehearsed the plot and David confirmed relevant aspects. But Ella said nothing. Greg periodically looked at Ella, using his rear mirror, and he was worried about Ella. It wasn't just the fact that she looked put out, it was the fact that she barely spoke or contributed to the conversation. How could Ben's plan work, if she can't handle this charade? In any case, Greg didn't know Ella that well. In fact, Greg wasn't sure if Ella's mood was down to David's presence or the fact she was involved in this deception.

Greg was right. Ella was worried. Agreeing was easy, but spending time with David was going to be hard, she thought as the plan unfurled. Surely there would be another, better plan? Surely Nic could hide, until the danger has passed. Simple. Just hide. No need for this charade. But it appeared she was the only person who had thought about this alternative plan. Listening to Jack, Amelia and David just showed that they were committed to Ben's plan. Ella wasn't certain about Ben's plan, because she wasn't sure that people would mistake her for Nic. Amelia said she couldn't pretend to be Nic, but that Ella could, because Nic was the same height as Ella! But Ella thought height wasn't enough. Surely people would notice the difference.

The group arrived early. Deliberately. They intend to take advantage of the café in the terminal. The plan was to made sure that their presence was noted by other passengers and the workers at the café and the terminal. David thought he should receive an Oscar, given he pretended to flirt with Ella. He, like Greg, was worried that Ella would baulk at anytime. And she got more and more reserved as time went on.

As foot-passengers, Ella, David, Jack and Amelia made their way through the ferry terminal. As they walked on to the ferry, David placed an arm around Ella's waist. His eyebrow winged its way to his hairline as he waited for Ella's reaction. She turned around and she was tempted to give him what she considered her haughtiest look, but she remembered she had to pretend, that she was Nic. His eyes flicked down to her lips, then flicked back up to her eyes. Ella nearly fainted. This charade was going to be hard. He quirked a brow and stepped closer, knowing full well that his action would fire her up again. She straightened up. He came closer, and David and Ella were equally astonished when he gave her peck on the corner of her lips and then nibbled her earlobe. Suddenly everything whirled. The world receded, people around vanished, and David and Ella became deaf to the ferry's environment. David and Ella were alone, in a bubble generated by a nibble on her ear!

The bubble popped when another passenger nudged past, saying "Sorry." David and Ella blinked. Looked around, and reality re-emerged. Ella caught her lips between her teeth while David poked his tongue in his cheek. They were on the ferry, Ella reminded herself. David looked over at the other passenger. The passenger nodded at a child who seemed to be full of mischief, "My kid has just realised that he can escape me!"

"Yes. He moved fast." David said as if he saw the action. He tracked the toddler, amazing what a toddler can do, on wobbling feet.

The passenger added, "Fuelled by chocolates! His brother gave him chocolates, not a good idea! Sorry about this, but I need to retrieve him before he causes more chaos." David and Ella leaned back and the passenger squeezed past. He managed to scoop up his toddler before he got into more trouble. The toddler's freedom was curtailed and he started to scream. Roped in, corralled and forced to do something that you don't want to do, Ella sighed, exactly like me, she thought.

Ella used that interruption to move away from David. What happened? One kiss, well, a small peck, followed by a nibble. One nibble on her ear and her heart raced!

Ella and David followed the passenger with his toddler squirming in his arms and the toddler was shouting at the top of his lungs. But David and Ella didn't register the antics of the toddler or any other passengers.

Because David, like Ella, was still surprised by that unexpectedly kiss. Ella's mind reviewed the last few seconds. Surely he wasn't really flirting with her. It must be just part of their make-believe facade. Just impulsive. Her head went over and over about the kiss, and she eventually reached a conclusion that he was just caught up in the pretence. A spur of the moment. Unrehearsed. He didn't mean anything. He probably thought it was a good idea, to give people around something to watch. Ella just wished he hadn't, because it rattled her.

David ran his palm across his mouth, as he, like Ella, was appraising the last few seconds. Why did he kiss her ear? A sensual kiss. In public. And why did this mean so much to him?

He accepted his actions were spontaneous. But, why not stop at that peck on the corner of her lips? Instead he moved to her ear and nibbled! His tongue bathed her earlobe, his teeth nipped, gently as his lips drew her earlobe into his mouth. He knew it exudes intimacy, created tenderness and preciousness. He was not a novice. Kissing a woman, nibbling on an earlobe was not new. But he knew this would take a kiss to a higher level.

This was meant to be a charade, just an artificial simulation, not simulated eroticism. And of course, they had to draw attention to them to ensure they were remembered. But that did not include kissing Ella. Let alone targeting a public erogenous zone. Let alone take a public kiss to the boudoir.

That action was definitely not a sham.

Ella was still reviewing that episode. That kiss was warm and tender, the kind of action from a lover, preparing for intercourse. If he left it at a peck, she wouldn't mind. It would be for the charade, she would accept it. But that nibble on her ear robbed her equanimity. She went from level-headedness to no brain-activity.

So Ella caught up with Jack and Amelia and she stayed closed to them.

What had just happened, that thought resurfaced in her mind. They had kissed before, like the school-car-park-kiss, and it had resurrected their connection, but this kiss on her ear, felt even more romantic than that school-car-park-kiss. She also thought it gave her a window to David's genuine emotion. That kiss, that nibble on her ear, was tender and passionate, and it was unexpected. It robbed her breath and it definitely left an imprint on an erogenous zone and more importantly, her heart. One simple action scattered her thoughts. Her mind was all over the place and her heart was still thumping.

Probably, because that nibble felt like a permit to sex. And that kiss was also honest. It was a preview of passion, romance and desires.

That is why it rattled her.