Chapter 78

It took her at least fifteen minutes to realise that he was holding her hand! And even then, she only realised that when David got another phone call. How he managed to retrieve his phone while he continued to hold on to Ella's hand was a mystery. He probably managed that, because she was busy, examining her memories. She was wondering if they started their walk, holding hands. Sifting through her memory, she fathomed out that David had simply reached for her hand when they left the hotel's reception. And she didn't complain, because it didn't registered probably because it felt natural.

So far, all they talked about was Jack's call and the implications for Nic, and Ben. But they ignored the elephant in the room: they didn't talk about the consequences for them, given Ella was due to pack and leave the town.

Ella watched David's face to see if this phone call was about good or bad news. It was obvious that David was talking to Jack and Ella waited for David to disconnect the call.

"That was Jack." David put his phone back into his jacket pocket. "He and Amelia are at the hotel."

"Oh." She pulled away.

"Nic's security details have rearranged our flights."

"They have?" She murmured. Everything was spiralling out of control.

"Jack said, they expected us to be there, and we needed to be at the airport in two hours."

"Oh. Right." A brow furrowed in consternation and concern. "Well, I guess we should retrace our steps..."

David stood his ground and quirked a brow, "Maybe."

Ella's mouth opened, closed, opened again as if she intended to say something, and then when she couldn't form the words Ella scowled at David. That man was doing his best to rile her.
"I thought we could stay on." He flashed a smile at her. "We don't have to follow Nic's detail's instructions! Their concern is Nic, not us. They probably think they owe us."

"Owes us?"

"Yeah. Us doing this journey to protect Nic. They don't owe us anything. Ben was worried, he came with the plan and we, you, me, Amelia and Jack, thought it was a good idea."

"Oh"

He returned to his original idea. "We could stay here. Have a mini-holiday."

Her eyes rounded in alarm. This was too fast. Time to put the brakes on.

"Jack and Amelia could return and we could stay on." He repeated.

She blinked. Surely they had to get to the hotel, collect their baggage, have something to eat, and get to the airport. Thank goodness they hadn't unpacked. And she really needed time to think. She knew she was in love, but was he?

"Look, I know that kiss on the balcony had been wholly unexpected." David said and watched Ella's expression.

Ella caught her lower lip in her teeth. The memory of the kiss surfaced in her mind. How could he take her from control to completely out of control in the blink of an eye? She needed time. There was so much to process. Was that kiss due to adrenaline? The abnormal situation could generate an indiscretion and it might explain their recklessness with that kiss. Utter faux pas.

"Exactly. It was an anomaly." She admitted somewhat diffidently.

David scowled. "Are you kidding? You consider that an anomaly?" He folded his arms and puckered his brow, "You do remember what happened earlier, on the ferry, at the hotel? Some anomaly!"

For a second nothing more was said as both silently acknowledged the unspoken truth.

Ella tried to pacify David. "It was good..."

"Good?" He nearly growled, unlaced his arms and threw his hands into the air. "Fuck! Our kisses were better than 'good' Gabriella!"

True, she thought, Ella bit her lip and mumbled. "I just need time."

"Time?" He grimaced.

"Yes." Ella stated flatly.

"Fine. Think about this too!" Smothering a curse, he grabbed her shoulders and his mouth slammed down on hers. His sudden action caught her unaware. A micro-second later, she encouraged him. She opened her mouth and his tongue swept into her mouth. With his mouth once again fused to hers, his lips glued to hers, the pressure forced her head back. She arching. One hand cradled her back, leaving his other hand to slide round and cup the back of her head.

Seconds later, he lifted his head, "Still an anomaly?"

Looked straight at her, waited for her to open her eyes, saw passion and desire, and then he lowered his head again.

He offered glimpses of a seductive, tantalizing world. And he was giving her everything. Despite their history. Despite her determination to leave the town. He wanted her to know, that he wanted her. And he thought, she wanted him. Her tongue darted into his mouth and her tongue matched every movement his tongue made. She demanded and offered. He growled. Satisfaction. His lips travelled over her jaw line kissing her, nuzzled her ear, before returning to her swollen lips. He was sure she kissed him back. He was about to move his hand, when a car hooted at them.

David and Ella stumbled as the hoot registered. She planted both palms on his chest and looked up at him and then glanced around quickly to see if anyone was still watching them.

"We need to get back to the hotel." Slowly she inched her head back. Her heart was still thumping.

He shook his head. "No." But he did release her from his arms.

"No?" She scowled. "What do you mean? Jack is waiting for us." She stepped away when she realised she was not in his arms.

He nearly smiled, she looked furious. "I mean, no." He stated firmly. "We need to talk. And Jack can wait!"

"This is not the right time." Ella snapped. Silently she remonstrated with herself, why take a walk, they should have stayed at the hotel, should have eaten, albeit in the reception, avoiding temptation. "We need to get back." She glowered at him. "I am pretty sure that someone, higher up in the chain, has pulled strings, to sort out our transport, when they probably had heaps to do."

Seconds elapsed.

David stated. "Fine. But we need to talk." His eyes watched hers carefully. "Either here or at the town." He told her calmly, "I will not forget." His tone was laced with threat. She rolled her eyes. He straightened up, "And, Gabriella," She looked over at him, "That kiss was foreplay!"

Ella blinked for several seconds as David's words sunk in. Ella pulled herself together and David saw her control return, and she tried to moved their conversation. She squared her shoulders, "As you know I had plans. I only came back to pack up my stuff. Not to have foreplay with you!"

"I know. But you, and I, were not expecting fireworks. You and I both know that our kisses were not anomalies..."

She interrupted and conceded. "Fine." Because she knew her face was flushed with red, talking about sex. She mulled quietly. "I know." They had chemistry. In her mind she said, I just need time. To figure out if his reactions was due to their circumstances or his feelings were more than just lust. And she knew she was in love with him.

"You are running away." David countered as he watched emotions flit through her eyes.

Ella's mobile rang. Saved by the bell. She retrieved her phone and answered. She recognised the caller, "Hi Ames." A brief moment, "Yes, we are on our way back." And saying that, she turned around and headed back to their hotel still listening to Amelia on the phone. "I guess, a few blocks from the hotel, probably 10 minutes, or a bit more." She looked over shoulder to see if David was with her. He was not happy. She could see that. She continued her conversation with Amelia, "I needed some air. I was worried about you..." And Ella made sure that this phone call would last the duration of this return journey to the hotel.