Chapter 16

When they stepped out into the car park David glanced around, spotted Jack's car and pointed, "Over there."

Together, in silence, they walked towards Jack's car.

"Ella?" Amelia squeaked. She looked a trifle embarrassed. Ella marched to the passenger window, her eyes narrowed in concern, while her mind tried to figure out what was going on, here.

"Amelia, you ok?"

"Yes. Thanks for bringing the bag." Amelia mumbled as Ella handed her the bag through the open window.

"What are you doing?" Ella peeked past Amelia and looked with some apprehension at Jack, who was still in the car.

"Um, Jack and I thought we'd leave." Amelia replied and dropped eye contact. Ella looked at Amelia for several seconds, took in her state of hair, her clothing and the steamed up car windows, then looked past Amelia to the other person in the car. Jack was quietly talking to David at the other window.

Ella's eyebrows rose in question.

Amelia lifted her gaze and said quietly, "Ella, it's what I want."

"Are you sure?" Ella kept her gaze on the back of Jack's head.

"Very." Amelia nodded. "Honestly."

A second passed, then Ella opened her bag, reached in, rummaged until she found what she was looking for, and then handed it to Amelia, "Assuming this isn't too late."

Amelia glanced at the strip of condom foils in Ella's palm and smiled with a mixture of embarrassment and humour. "Thanks." Amelia whispered, "And I'll ask why someone not currently dating carries these, but, obviously, some other time!" Amelia knew had forgotten all about protection. Mentally she thought about her cycle and figured out that it was the wrong time for her to fall pregnant. But even so, there was a slim chance.

"It was good of you and David to bring my bag to me." Amelia bite her lips then mumbled, "It would have been embarrassing to go and get it."

Ella stepped back. "Probably." Ella just hoped that Amelia had made the right decision. Having sex with Jack in the back of his car, at a local event in a school, was probably not the right place or time. But obviously with the right person.

On the other side, David and Jack had another quiet conversation.

"Thanks Dave. You got her bag."

"Yeah, thanks bro. I had to run the gauntlet with that woman. You owe me!"

"Was she ok?" Jack's brow furrowed. "Did you tell her about..."

"It's none of her business." David interrupted. "She just insisted on bringing the bag to Amelia, personally. She probably thought I was going to run off with Amelia's bag!" He looked over the top of the car and noted that Ella had rummaged in her own bag and gave something to Amelia. Now what? He wondered. David mumbled, "If this is the start of your relationship with Amelia, you will have to meet her friends on a social basis, including that woman." He returned his attention to Jack, "I hope you know what you are doing."

"Yes. I know. And right at this moment, Amelia and I need to leave." The two brothers shared a look.

"Ok, I get that." David straightened up. David and Jack stopped speaking. Jack looked over at Amelia, to signal they were ready to leave.

Amelia acknowledged that signal and called a general greeting, "Goodnight."

Ella leaned forward, peered through the open passenger window, waited until Jack could see her face, then she said firmly, "Be good to Amelia."

Jack patted Amelia's hand which was rested on her thigh and Jack nodded at Ella. "I will."

Waiting a few seconds, weighed up Jack's simple response, and then nodded in acceptance. Ella looked at Amelia who was now blushing. "Take care. Ok?" Ella smiled gently. "Night. Bye."

Amelia nodded. Ella stepped away from the car.

To the two people standing on either side of the car, watching Jack and Amelia, thought they looked like they were well and truly in love. Not what he had expected today, David thought as he watched the car's driver and passenger. They did seem happy, albeit, a bit embarrassed. A few hours ago, Jack was unhappy and really displeased by the way the event was going. Yet, few hours later, he was in high spirits and delighted with the outcome of this event.

David stepped away from the car, and as Jack put the car in gear, Amelia smiled at something Jack had obviously said. David and Ella remained where they were. David's shoulders squared up, as he remembered Jack's expression. Jack was ecstatic and he had left with Amelia, leaving her friend with David. Not something that David expected at this event. He was not happy at all: He was standing here with the woman he had deliberately had avoided over the last two years. What was he meant to do now? He should have checked with Jack if he wanted David to drop Ella at her home. She came here with Amelia. But Amelia left with Jack. Now what? Should he offer Ella a lift home? This is going to be a mess, having to deal with her on more normal basis and more often.

When the red taillights disappeared Ella and David turned apprehensively toward each other. She all but scoffed. She was being obnoxious. David shook his head at her rude behaviour, and then remembered that he had been rude to her tonight. After all this time, she still managed to get to him. But at least her behaviour gave him an excuse not to offer her a lift home!

Agitatedly Ella wrapped her arms around her waist. Now what? She can't stay out here with David and she didn't want to go back without Amelia. Ella was only at this event, because Amelia was part of the cycle-camp-crew. She knew people inside, but they were not her friends.

Tautly David jammed his hands in his pockets. With his ingrained manners, despite her movements, he was still havering about asking her if she needed a lift home.

Their unease was palpable.

Yet their reluctance to move on seemed to puzzle both of them. For a few seconds their eyes made contact as both wondered how they were going to take that first step to overcome this awkwardness that existed between them. Neither of them were stupid, and both realised that if Jack and Amelia became a couple, then David and Ella would have to deal with each other on a more regular basis or have to contend with not seeing Jack and Amelia that often.

David was pretty sure that his thoughts were mirrored in Ella's mind: how were they going to manage their practically-non-relationship now, give Jack has just driven off with Amelia, with contentment oozing out of their pores. One couple beyond pleasure while another was close to vexation.

Ella knew, as she watched the headlights disappear, that she would have to find a way to deal with David on a regular basis. She had managed to avoid him for two years, the thought ran through her mind, and now, fate had ensured that she would have to deal with him. Perhaps, Amelia would be one of those women who ditch their friends to be with their boyfriends. Ella knew that was not likely, as Amelia was loyal. She would definitely go out of her way to make sure that I am ok, thought Ella.

Obviously fate is absurd. Or is practising as a stand-up comedian. Why wait for two years before throwing them together?