Chapter 37

Amelia watched David and Ella for the last few minutes and then smiled up at Jack. Jack looked at her, one dark brow rose in query. "What?"

"They kissed!" Amelia smiled with a happy sigh. "You missed it."

"Er, Ames, I know David can kiss!" He laughed.

Amelia rolled her eyes, muttered beneath her breath and gave Jack a pointed look, that seemed to make no difference whatsoever his grin. "I am just saying, they seem to have fixed things." She clarified and watched David and Ella more carefully.

Jack laughed when she threw him a glower and added to pacify her, "Hope so."

David's eyes remained on her face, watching emotions in her eloquent eyes. "We should finish the dance." He said softly. Time to show her that she should date him! The best he could do, at the moment, would be to keep dancing with her. Use this breakthrough in their association. Their rapport reappeared. It was what he remembered from ten years ago, that camaraderie, that passion, that solidarity. The question was, will she stay in his arms for this dance.

Ella narrowed her eyes. They should go back to their seats before this gets out of control. But she remembered from ten years ago, that they had that openness in their relationship, full of passion, warmth and gregariousness.

Just now, they both recognised that they missed their conviviality: openness and unreservedness. And they recognised that the last two years were a sham: A sham created by cautious.

Their methodical approach for the last two years was wrong. It had failed to take into account their amazing rapport. That feeling of knowing and understanding. Ten years ago they recognised that within seconds. But two years ago, they used the aftermath of a fall-out of an event, to determine their actions. Their decision two years ago ignored their special, wonderful, perfect bond. Why had they ignored that? Obviously, a decision made in hasty when she first arrived at the town. Time to correct that decision, thought David.

"Please Gabriella, we should finish this dance." He studied her and made sure she could see his sincerity. He waited a beat, watching her reaction intently.

Ella swiped her tongue over her lips as she considered her options. It would be really easy to just resume that kiss. Her heart was thumping, despite the fact her statements earlier, appeared flippant. But those statements simply hid her feelings. That kiss, that tender, short, brief contact had her brain spinning out of control while her heart thumped like a train pounding down the tracks. She remembered their first kiss. Impulsive, impetuous and incredible. But then she remembered what happened back then. Deja vue. Her life spinning out of control. It was a moment when she realised that she needed to be more guarded and restrained. She was going to make a fool of herself, unless she took command of her feelings and actions.

David saw the panic in her eyes. Followed by a mixture of panic and excitement and longing. David wished he could erase that panic from her eyes. But at the same time, he knew that he should not force the issue. She would scarper, or would rebuild her wall, he thought.

She shook her head, and shifted her gaze. He knew that if Ella started over thinking things, she would run.

So David kept his arms around her waist, as he looked at her, and pinned a smile on his lips, "No kissing. Just a dance with a decent-dancing-partner!" He promised with a cheeky grin, hoping that flippant comment would encourage her to stay. "Come on, Gabriella. In any case, the school Principal would expect us to finish this dance." His heart was pounding like the thundering hooves of hundreds of wild stallions.

"Are you in trouble with the Principal?" Ella asked, playing for time. She was wringing her hands as she forced herself to remember not to touch him while her heart was still close to a heart attack.

David chuckled instantly and had no hesitation in questioning her, "For kissing you?"

She swallowed and inclined her head as she said quietly, "Yes." She just hoped this wasn't going to be a déjà vu situation. His arms around her waist weren't helping her blood pressure, her heart was still thumping, her thoughts were still scattered and the question was: flight or fight?

"I don't think so." David smiled as he watched her face and then his smile vanished, "I hope you aren't expecting an apology about that kiss."

"No. I'm not." She said instantly. And she wished she hadn't said that. It just proved her control was an illusion.

He tipped his head to one side, "Because?"

"Because I didn't stop you." She murmured in honesty. Typical, she didn't intend to say that aloud. "But this," she looked over her shoulder, "this isn't the right environment."

It dawned on her that staff snogging in public was probably not the kind of behaviour the school condoned. How many people saw us kiss, asked her brain? Does it matter, her heart asked?

David looked at her with growing respect for her honesty. "In that case, we should be dancing." He smiled, hoping to encourage her. "Shall we?"

She subdued her concerns she gulped and nodded. Ella went into his arms.

They'd barely taken a couple of steps when the band asked all those on the floor to change partners. She wondered if the principal had instigated the change.

Ella chuckled quietly as she disengaged.

"God is playing dice with us today!" David mumbled.

She looked up at David as he accompanied her off the dance floor. "Thank you for the dance, David."

David took in her expression. She looked like she was happy. Definitely a good mood, her eyes were sparkling and her lips were curved in a huge smile. And she used his name. Definitely progress. "Can I get you a drink?" They had reached the edge of the school dance floor.

Ella shook her head. "No, thanks. Thanks again for the dance."

"My pleasure." And he recognised it. It was a pleasure. The fact they had spoken without any trace of their history animosity. The fact it resurrected their camaraderie.

Ella licked her lips and said, "If you could excuse me." He nodded and she walked away.

David grinned at Ella's retreating back. He scrubbed one hand across his jaw, and he wondered, when did life become so wonderful?

Jack and Amelia returned to the table. "Everything ok?" Jack asked David as he waited for Amelia to take her seat

"Oh yeah." David nodded, "Everything is just perfect." The question is, what was he going to do?

Jack shook his head, and all but smirked as he considered David's expression.

"I see." Jack mulled over David's expression. "Obviously I was right." He gave David another smile and said with obvious reassurance, "You really like her." His brother said with a broad grin.

David just grinned like a Cheshire cat. "Yeah. I guess."

Amelia who was sitting quietly, listening to the brothers, said, "So, what are you going to do, David?"

"I haven't the faintest idea!" But David continued to grin, "It would have been better if your friend was on the same page as me." He looked over at Amelia, hoping that she would help him.

"Well, given your experience, you must have some ideas." Amelia sniggered. 

David shrugged. "In my experience, my dates like me!"

"I saw that kiss." Amelia smirked and watched David's reaction. David's neck and face became red and Jack roared with laughter. He couldn't remember David, ever, blushing.