Chapter 2: Welcome Home

In the mist of heavy rain, a taxi cab arrives in front of Bethany Lawrence's house. It isn't quite dark outside yet, but the rain clouds have blocked any chance of witnessing a sunset. Bethany, who had been looking out her front door waiting, picks up an umbrella from behind the door and comes outside. She opens up the umbrella while walking toward the yellow cab. The rear passenger door opens and out comes none other than Samantha, her daughter. She is wearing a thick brown sweater and multicolored scarf with a matching knitted cap. Her long black hair unorganized and untamed escaping her headgear cuddles with the scarf, creating the perfect frame for her silky white face and bright red lipstick. She immediately lights up with a huge smile and greets her mother. They share a big hug under Bethany's umbrella.

"Hi mom!"

"Hi doll! No time for hallmark moments let's get the hell out the rain what do you say?"

Samantha lets out a quick laugh, but it is cut short by the sense of urgency that the icy November rain brings.

"Let me just grab my bag."

Bethany holds the umbrella for Samantha as she goes to the trunk to get her bag. They then scurry on up toward the house. The cab driver honks the horn, which startles Samantha, but at the same time reminds her to go back and pay him. She leaves her bag by the doorstep and hastily walks toward the cab to hand him the cash.

"Here you go! Sorry about that."

As Samantha hurries back toward her mother's door, the cab drives away. She notices her mother standing there just looking at the front door of the house.

"Something wrong?"

"How come I didn't see that there?"

"See what, mom?"

"That envelope; I didn't notice it when I first came out to get you."

The envelope she is referring to is a large mainella envelope with a red lace that is taped to the glass of her screen door, labeled "Sam."

"Oh mom, it's probably just another "welcome home Sam" card from Aaron. He does this every single week, you'd be used to it by now."

"Well, yeah but..."

"Mom? The 'hell out the rain' remember?"

Samantha takes the envelope, then opens the door and brings her bag inside along with it. Bethany seems puzzled, as she is sure that she did not see an envelope a few minutes ago. She walks a bit more slowly but enters the house anyway. Before closing the door behind her, she turns around toward the outside to close out the umbrella she carries. She looks around in suspicion, sensing that someone may be watching her. She taps the now closed umbrella three times to shake some of the water off, while still analyzing the surroundings of her small front yard and across the street. She shrugs her shoulders and brings the umbrella inside, closing te screen door and main door after her.

Next door to Bethany's house, in the neighbor's driveway, a blue sedan sits with the engine running. The headlights turn on shortly after Bethany had entered her house. The car slowly pulls out and begins to drive away.

"They almost saw you."

Inside the vehicle, a familiar set of eyes reflect on the rear view mirror. He is the only person in the car, and is obviously talking to himself. But he looks at his reflection in the rearview mirror when talking, as if expecting some sort of response.

"Next time just send it by mail, the day before. What would they have thought if they saw you? Probably "what a creep" right? You're no creep though. This is what she likes. Sam has always said she loved surprises, little fun mysteries, guessing games, scavenger hunts, so... You're not being creepy, Aaron, you're being fun. That's romantic. She likes that, right? She likes that."

Aaron runs his hand down his face while taking a deep breath. A smile takes over him now, and he even chuckles to himself.

"You're gonna woo her, Aaron. You... are going... to woo her. I cannot wait until tomorrow night!"

---------------

Author's Note**

I am very open to any questions anyone may want answered in future chapters, or anything that you would like me to explain or go into more detail as well. Please don't forget to vote and fan me if you like my work :) Thank You so much for letting me share this with you. -GB