Chapter 28: Endgame, Part 3

"No no no no no no..."

Aaron comes running down the long staircase nervously. Samantha hurries toward him when she sees him.

"Aaron! What was it? What happened?"

"It it it it's the thing, the damn uh... of uh... Oh man...."

"Aaron, you're scaring me! What the hell did you see up there?!"

"Every damn cop in the entire state of Washington seems to be out there, Sam! Choppers, sirens, and more policecars than I can count!"

"Are you kidding me?! Did they see you?"

"No no, Sam look we have to go. We gotta get outta here."

"Not 'we,' Aaron! You!"

"What?! There is no way I'm leaving you--"

"Aaron! I'm still innocent! They find me and I'm just legally brought back from the dead. I have nothing to lose, and everything to gain!"

"You are not innocent any more, Sam! You and I both know that. But I've come too far to let you slip out of my hands now, so you're coming with me!"

"Where the hell can we possibly even go?! You said there are cops all over this damn place!"

"I've been in this complex countless times, Sam. I know the ins and outs of it better than anyone... There is a way out they'll never find..."

"There is?"

"I told you this used to be medical complex... Well around the time it was occupied, the sewage system was a bit different..."

"What are suggesting, Aaron?"

"There's a waste deposit at the opposite end of the corridor just upstairs..."

"I am NOT gonna swim around in human crap, Aaron."

"That's the good news, Sam. It's not active. So there is no waste, just a long walk."

"And where does it end up?"

"Sam, please let's just go. There is no time to go over everything..."

"But I need to kno--"

Aaron grabs Samantha by the arm and runs up the stairs with her, causing her to hurry in the same rhythm up the steps that he is.

Outside of the facility, Commissioner Russo gives a signal to the armed policemen to move in. Memers of the SWAT Team kickdown the main door and enter cautiously. Commissioner Russo looks on from a safe distance with concern.

Inside, Aaron and Samantha are running through a dark hallway.

"It's too dark! Can you even see where you're going?!"

"Yes, Sam... I wont ask you to stop talking but don't be so loud okay? And don't slow down when you talk, walk and talk, Sam, walk and talk..."

"You sound like I do when I talk to..."

At that point they pass by an open door and although they run past it, the flickering lights inside the room came on just in time for Samantha's eyes to catch a glimpse of what was in the room; a rotting human body strapped to a dentist's chair with duct tape.

"Oh my God!"

"Shhh! What is it, Sam?!"

"Oh my God I just saw a corpse..."

"That was Cliff. Keep running we're almost there."

At te entrance to the facility now, walking through the hallways with guns drawn, the officers communicate with one another through hand gestures. They inspect the main lobby as well as the restrooms. They find nothing there and continue moving in.