Chapter 18: The Calm

Aaron is sobbing over Samantha, cradling his arms around her as she lays there in fetal position with chains around her.

"Don't die on me, Sam... The only reason I live is you, and you can't leave me this way..."

Aaron's muffled cries are answered to by a grunt from Samantha. Aaron steps back a bit, now sitting on the floor in front of her, without any regard for the blood on the floor that his pants are touching.

"Sam... What happened here Sam? Was someone here?"

Samantha seems to have very little energy as she slowly worms herself out of the position she lays in. Her voice low and nearly whispering expresses a tone of confusion.

"Aaron...? Get away from me, Aaron..."

"Sam, you're bleeding..."

"Please leave me alone."

"I can't. You're hurt, Sam. Curled up in the chains, you're..."

"I was sleeping, Aaron. But it doesn't matter. I might as well be dead right now."

"Did you try to take your own life? I mean, Sam that's--"

"Please leave me alone, Aaron. If you're not gonna let me go, at least let me be bleed by myself... It's... My menstrual cycle is always heavier than--."

Aaron gets up and runs his hand through his hair while looking down at Samantha. Samantha stops her sentence and looks to her side down at the ground, to avoid looking at Aaron's face. Aaron takes a deep breath before speaking.

"Sam... Look, there is a lot going on out there and I have no time to explain it to you. But bottom line is, We need to get out of here, before they decide to come check here too."

"Too?"

Aaron runs his hand down his face while exhaling and his hand stops just as it reaches his chin. His eyes open wide and he now holds his hands up with palms toward Samantha.

"I got it... Wait here."

"Wait here? Are you serious?"

Aaron exits the room now. As he makes his way toward the hallway, Samantha yells at him.

"It's not like I can go anywhere, you know!"

Samantha shakes her head now looking down at the ground and the mess she has become. She hears Aaron's steps walk away and the sound of his feet is then followed by the echoing of drawers and cabinet doors being pulled. His footsteps echo their way back toward the room that holds Samantha. Aaron walks in with a bag in his hand and puts it down in front of Samantha.

"Put this on, Sam... We gotta go. And don't worry I wont watch you change. I'll get out of the room."

Samantha looks at the medical bag he just brought in and raises an eyebrow.

"Adult diapers...?"

"There aren't any maxi pads down here, okay? Just--"

"Aaron! I am not putting on a damn diaper! Even if I was NOT chained by my wrists and ankles and was physically able to do it, I would not put those on. What the hell is wrong with you?"

"Look, Sam, I'll unchain you so that you can do this, but it is a necessity. Please..."

"Aaron... In case you haven't noticed, I don't want to be here. So, what makes you think that I'm just going to put on a diaper and let you chain me back up? I don't care what you think this is, Aaron, but as soon as you unleash me, I am running the hell outta here."

"Oh Sam, my love... Why did you have to say that?"

Aaron walks to the cabinet beside the door and pulls out a syringe from it. Samantha shakes her head and lowers it.