Chapter 3: What's In The Envelope?

"It's dry."

"What do you mean?"

"The envelope, mom. It's dry."

Samantha stands in the dining room of Bethany's home and holds up the envelope for Bethany to see. Bethany now makes her way toward her from the living room.

"Right... What are you getting at?"

"That you were probably right. I mean it's pouring out there, so this couldn't have been out there for long."

"Hmm... open it. Let's see what's inside."

They sit at the dining room table and Samantha tears the envelope open. She peeks inside and gasps in excitement and disbelief.

"No..."

"What is it?"

Samantha pulls out what seems to be a sparkling white studded ribbon at first. But she holds it up in front her from both ends and is now fully noticeable that it is in fact a diamond necklace.

"Sammy, is that a...?"

"A diamond necklace! This is amazing!"

"Oh it looks so expensive, doll. Let me take a look at it."

Samantha hands the necklace to Bethany. Bethany puts on her reading glasses and is looking at the necklace from every which angle. Samantha keeps digging in the mainella envelope and pulls out the remaining contents; two separate sheets of paper. She begins to read one of them to her mother.

"Okay, so this says... 'This is a certificate of authenticity. The enclosed item is a 22.50 carat--'"

"Well I could've told you that! This is authentic, doll. The real deal. Must have been close to two hundred thousand at least."

"I don't care how much it cost mom! Even if it was twenty cents, it's beautiful!"

"What's that other piece of paper?"

"Huh? Oh nothing, just some of that insurance crap like in case it gets lost or stolen."

Bethany seems to have concluded her intricate inspection of the jewelery and shakes her head. She hands the necklace back to Samantha. Samantha puts it back in the envelope and gets up from her chair.

"Well I'm gonna go take my bag up to my room. I'll come back down right after I take a shower, alright?"

"Sure thing doll, dinner should be ready in a couple of minutes, I'll serve you."

Samantha walks up the steps and Bethany remains at the dining table in deep thought.

"The envelope was dry. Was the door dry? The tape wouldn't have stuck to a wet door. Would it?"

Bethany exhales, then gets up from the dining table and begins preparing it to serve up the dinner that is almost ready. 

---------------
Author's Note**
I am very open to any questions anyone may want answered in future chapters, or anything that you would like me to explain or go into more detail as well. Please don't forget to vote and fan me if you like my work :) Thank You so much for letting me share this with you. -GB