Chapter 7: Ignoring Things

"Hanged himself with his own belt."

"Who discovered the body?"

"The gentleman over there."

Police cars and ambulances clog up the entrance to the hotel's parking lot. A female detective and a male police officer are speaking to each other as the rescue team behind them wheels away a body bag on a stretcher. Aaron and Samantha stand under the awning of the hotel's main entrance, avoiding the rain. Aaron's jacket is on Samantha's shoulders now and so are his hands. Aaron wearing his white dress shirt with unbuttoned vest and loosened up tie. The detective approaches them.

"Hello. Carrie Sosa, I'm with Thurston County Police. Which one of you was it that saw the body?"

"My name's Aaron."

"Aaron, I know you must be disturbed by this experience. I just want to know, did you see him as he did this or was he dead when you got there?"

"I... walked in and he was dead."

"How did you know he was dead?"

"I, well, I didn't. I mean... I didn't bother to check him, I guess..."

Samantha adds to the exchange with a furrow of her brow and lips puckered in sorrow.

"Aaron totally freaked out when he saw him and ran to get me..."

Detective Sosa doesn't seem at all moved emotionally.

"One at a time, alright? I'll get to you."

Samantha's lips retract into her mouth and she looks away from Sosa. Aaron does not like the tone in which Detectve Sosa just spoke to Samantha so he makes it known.

"Alright, look, Sosa... I understand you have no personal investment in this, but we just lost a friend, so at least have enough decency to watch how you talk to her."

"Let's calm down, sir. I'm a private investigator, and quite frankly there isn't much here to investigate. Suicides aren't my thing, I'm gathering as much info as I can. It would really help figure out the motive if I can talk to the last person that last saw him alive..."

Samantha hesitates before speaking, since Sosa wasn't speaking directly to her, but does so anyhow with a sarcastically polite undertone.

"That would be Paul, ma'am. In the ball room, that's who Michael was last seen talking to."

"Were they arguing? Was he depressed? Sad? Angry?"

"Not at all; he was laughing, actually... He was drinking and laughing."

"So there was alcohol involved... And what were they talking about? Did you pick up on that?"

"Yeah, they were talking about light rock, I think."

"Light rock. The music genre?"

"Yes... Sheryl Crowe...? Coldplay...? Everything But The Girl...?"

Aaron now cuts in before Samantha's list goes on.

"Pardon me, Sosa... This is pointless. We're obviously shaken up right now. If you want details on their conversation or whatever, go find Paul and ask him."

"Where can I find this 'Paul'?"

"He's probably inside trying to calm everyone down. Paul Lyons, just ask for him, everyone knows who he is."

"Sure. Well, this is an open and shut case anyhow. We'll keep in touch."

Detective Sosa walks away from them. Aaron shakes his head as he watches her go talk to the cops. Samantha pulls out her cell phone and begins scrolling through her contact list. Aaron notices this out of the corner of his eye.