Chapter 24: The Self-Destruction of Bethany Lawrence, Part 1

"I'm a failure."

Bethany sits at a lunch room table, in Jadaiah's restaurant, surrounded by wandering humble folk. Sitting across from her, is Jadaiah. They are each holding a cup of hot cocoa. Jadaiah extends her arm and touches Bethany's hand.

"Don't say that, honey... Why would you say that?"

"Jadaiah... It's Christmas Eve, and I have absolutely no one in my life... I have nothing.... I 'am' nothing."

"Oh that's nonesense, Beth... You are a strong beautiful woman who is in her prime. You're a powerful--"

"Don't pretend you don't see it, Jadaiah. I've lost everyone I ever cared for. Do you have any idea how hard it was to fill out those papers? Reporting my daughter 'missing'? It felt like I was giving up on her. In a matter of speaking, I was... Because deep down inside, I know they wont do a damn thing to find her... And just like that, I'll become one of those parents who outlive their children."

"You haven't failed. Your only downfall is how hard you are on yourself and you will only fail if you allow yourself to."

Bethany scoffs and shakes her head. She then sips from her cocoa.

At Aaron's house, Samantha is laying in bed, on her side, staring at the wall in front of her. Unbeknown to her, Aaron has come downstairs and is behind her, slowly walking toward the bed.

Samantha sees a red rose being slowly lowered in front of her face. Aaron is holding the rose by the stem, letting it hang upside down as how lowers it into her path of view. Samantha takes a deep breath with her eyes closed and then rolls her eyes.

"Go... Away... Aaron... Please."

Aaron lays in bed behind Samantha and gently caresses her face with the rose.

"It's Christmas Eve, my love... You know what that means, don't you?"

"That it's been twenty-five days since you kidnapped me."

"No, honey, no... Do you remember back in third grade... The week before Christmas vacation, when you looked in your desk at school and you saw this...?"

Aaron presents a note along with the rose now. Samantha does not acknowledge it and remains quiet. Aaron gets up from the bed now and walks around to sit on the floor in front f Samantha. He places the rose on the night stand, and then unfolds the note.

"Alright, since yoy wont read it, I will. Hopefully this refreshes your memory... Ahem... 'Dearest Samantha Lawrence, I know we're just friends. But please accept this flower, and don't allow our bond to end. Yes I know it's pretty, but let's face it so are you. And the flower's beauty will decay, but yours will remain new. Next year I'll give you two flowers, and the year after that, I'll give you three. Then four, then five, then six, then seven, every year on Christmas Eve. Merry Christmas, Samantha Lawrence. Love Always, Aaron Walsh."

"I don't want your damn christmas flowers, Aaron. Flowers are for the dead, so save your money for my burial."

"Your 'burial' Sam?"

Aaron gets up from the floor and leans in, giving Samantha a kiss on the forehead. He places the rose in her hair. She remains still and allows her angered eyes to follow Aaron's movements.

"I don't even want to think of such a thing. I'd never let you die, as long as I live... I'd be willing to give up my life, Sam, if it meant you would continue to live yours..."

"You drugged me and kidnapped me, and now you have me chained in your basement... Yet you have nerve to tell me you want me to 'live my life'? I don't think even you actually believe what you're saying."