Chapter 6: A Night Is Ruined

The evening has arrived, and the parking lot at The Grand Hotel is packed with cars from all parts of the country. It is still raining as it was last night, and has been all day. Aaron and two other sharply dressed gentlemen are at the door greeting the people that arrive and guiding them toward the hall in which the company event is being held. Aaron seems a bit distracted, glancing over guests shoulders to see behind them as he greets them. He points them in the direction of one of his collegues and resumes his position of looking out into the parking lot. While one of his companions walks a couple of guests down the hall, the other companion can't help but look at Aaron in a questioning manner. He looks down the hall, then back at Aaron, who doesn't seem to notice.

"Umm... Mr. Walsh, sir?"

Aaron doesn't turn to him, but responds while staring out into the parking lot.

"What is it, Harry?"

"I think you really should be inside, speaking to our investors and getting to know the owners of all your other branches. I think Robert's about to start his welcoming speech."

"Not everyone's here yet. Tell him to wait."

"With all due respect, Aaron, I don't think this place can hold that much more people. In fact, the girl at the counter told me almost everyone in our guest list has checked in. All but six people, as of a half hour ago. And now with the three that just arrived, I'd say we're all here."

"I'm sorry, I don't uh... think you understand? ...Me? ...Very well?"

Aaron laughs and looks to the ground before turning his head toward Harry. Aaron smiles at Harry, and Harry smiles back nervously.

"Not everyone is here yet, Harold. Go tell Robert to--"

"Hey guys!"

The gentleman who had gone to accompany the recently arrived guests is shouting to them from down the hall. Aaron drops his sentence, as he and Harry both look at the guy calling their attention.

"Come on, guys. Bobby's starting his speech!"

Aaron and Harry look at each other. Aaron takes a deep breath while licking his lips, then runs his hand down his face while exhaling.

"Alright. I'll be right in."

Aaron heads inside and Harry follows. Aaron puts his hand on Harry's chest and stops walking. Without looking at Harry, he licks his lips and then speaks.

"You stay... If more guests show up, they may need help finding the ball room."

"Alright Aaron."

As Aaron makes his way down the hall, Harry shakes his head and stands guard at the door.

"And suddenly i'm busboy..."

Aaron doesn't hear what Harry just said, he walks away from him and catches up to the one that called him down the hall. They both hastily walk toward the end of the hall.

"Who told him to start?"

"Nobody sir, or more like everybody. They cheered him on until he couldn't just say 'no' any longer."

"Great."

After a couple of turns in this labyrinth-like hotel, they enter through a set of double doors into a bright room full of fancy gold decorations and trim, packed with glamorously dressed men and women, some seated, some standing, but all paying attention to Robert, who stands with the microphone by the stage where the band is set up.

"... and if you would have asked a few years ago if I thought an autobody company would ever become this big, I would have laughed in your face. Never before has the world seen such aggressive growth in this type of business, and it is all thanks to-- oh there he is, ladies and gents! The man who made this all possible, Mr. Aaron Walsh!"