Chapter 9: Where is Aaron?

Brown, yellow, and red leaves are blown through the streets by the icy wind on a sunny autumn morning. A yellow taxi cab pulls up in front of Bethany Lawrences's house. Samantha comes out of the rear passenger seat, bundled up in a black suede coat and white scarf. A matching black & white winter hat covers her head, and black cotton gloves cover her hands. She takes in a deep breath with closed eyes while facing Bethany's house before getting her dufflebag out of the car's trunk. She goes to the front door of the house now while wheeling her bag. Bethany opens the door, greets her with a hug and they both go inside.

"I didn't expect you here this early, doll."

Bethany helps Samantha with her bag as Samantha unbundles from her outer wear.

"Neither did I. But I was bored, and figured 'oh what the heck, it's turkey day'!"

"Hehehe! Happy Thanksgiving, doll."

"Not yet mom, save it for turkey time."

Samantha walks to the living room and lets herself fall backward onto the couch. She picks up a remote and turns on the television.

"So how was your week, mom?"

"Oh not too bad, doll. How's school?"

"Still blows.... Say, have you heard from Aaron?"

"No, actually I haven't... Are you feeling okay?"

"Sure. Why?"

"You don't usually ask about Aaron."

"Well aren't you at least a little worried? It's been, what? Three, maybe four, weeks since we last heard from him?"

"Yeah. Haven't heard from him since that tragic night."

"And you're not concerned? Mom I have been seeing a freaking psychologist just to cope with what I saw that night. What about him? He saw it too. And he's the guy who calls you every week, has been doing so for years and years and years, then suddenly, no word from him. What, that doesn't faze you? Even a little?"

"Doll, I'm honestly just happy that you're alright. Your school's counseling and therapy sessions helped you deal with it but I think he has his own way of dealing with it so I prefer not to bother him."

"What about tonight, though?"

"What of it?"

"Thanksgiving dinner. He's spent the last four Thanksgivings with us, why not reach out to him this time?"

"And invite him?"

Samantha picks up the cordless telephone from Bethany's end table and hands it to her.

"Here."

Bethany dials out.

"You know, Sammy... I think it's really nice of you to care so much for someone who-- hmm?"

"What?"

"Nothing, it went straight to voicemail.

"Leave him a message."

"...It says the mailbox is full."

"Call his house number."

"I don't have his house number."

Samantha and Bethany look at one another, each unsure of what the other may be thinking. Samantha gets up from the couch and walks to the kitchen. On the kitchen counter is a phone book. Samantha opens it up.

"That's just the yellow pages, his house number wouldn't..."

"I know mom, but I'm looking for Walsh International. I'm sure we can get a hold of him there."