Chapter 26: Endgame, Part 1

**AUTHOR'S NOTE** 

The next couple of chapters will be the end of this story, so please be sure you have read everything leading up to this point before reading what happens next. Also, I am already working on a sequel, so if something feels open-ended, it is intentional.You are two chapters away from the conclusion, Keep on reading :-D THANK YOU! (Don't forget to vote!) 

************************************************************************************************

Aaron is in his kitchen hearing the loud knocks coming from both his front door and his basement entrance. His lips have become pale and dry with fear, as he knows exactly why Samantha is knocking from te basement but does not know who may be knocking so loudly at the front door. He then hears the voice of Officer Stack coming from outside.

"Aaron, it's Kennedy Stack! I know you're in there, I just saw you pull in. Look, we just wanna talk to you... It's just me out here! No need to complicate things, just open the door!"

Aaron is looking at the front door as it shakes from the knocking and then at the basement access with its loud knocking as well. He notices Samantha's knocking now stops. He reaches under his kitchen counter and pulls out a gun. He slips the gun into the back of his pants before slowly walking toward the front door.

"Just a minute...! Be right there...!"

Aaron gets to the front door and opens it slowly. Officer Stack displays non-hostile intent as he holds his up hands so that Aaron may see.

"What brings you here, Stack...?"

Officer Stack walks into Aaron's house.

"I... didn't invite you in."

"Relax, Aaron. Look, I just wanted to let you know... I was officially assigned to the case of Samantha Lawrence not too long ago, and... Well... She was announced dead, so I no longer have a case. I just wanted to see how you were holding up since I know you had invested interest in solving this puzzle."

Aaron's eyes shift toward the basement door but then look back at Officer Stack.

"I'm... At a loss for words, actually..."

Aaron closes the door.

"I don't actually believe she's gone."

"Neither do I, Aaron... I happen to think Samantha Lawrence is alive and ticking--"

"But not Bethany... I just can't understand it."

"Bethany...? What do you mean?"

"You didn't hear? She committed suicide... Just today..."

"No, I didn't hear... How did it happen?"

Aaron's watery eyes are trembling as much as his voice.

"It... Was just on the NEWS, you must have heard... It happened this morning, it's... Wait."

Aaron reaches behind himself and pulls out his gun. He points the gun at Officer Stack's face. Stack raises his palms toward Aaron.

"Whoa, take it easy. What's wrong, Aaron?"

"What's wrong is... You're stalling. I know you are."

"Stalling? For what? What are you talking about, Aaron?"

"You're trying to kill time. I clearly heard you say "WE wanna talk to you" and then you quickly changed it to "oh it's just ME out here." Tell me, Stack... Who the hell did you bring here?!"

"Aaron, I don't know what you're talking about. I'm here on my own, buddy. You must have heard me wrong, now put the gun down... If you know you've done nothing wrong, why start now?"