Under Attack

~September 11, 2001~

Linda Reagan watched the horrible events unfold on her tv. She clutched her soon to be one year  close as she shook her head, not believing what she was seeing. She looked over to the phone, when it rang. Looking back at the tv, she side stepped to the phone. "Hello?"
"Linda!" It was her sister-in-law, Erin. "Are you watching tv?"
"Yeah. What's happening?"
"Terrorists. What kind of freak accident like this happens? One tower hit, eighteen minutes later, the next. We're under attack."
Linda nodded in fear, "Yeah..."
"You guys okay over there?"
"Yeah, Jack's here, we're safe... You three alright?"
"Yeah. Nicky's in the other room with Jack. She doesn't know what's happening.... do you think Dad and everyone would want us all under one roof?"
"I dunno. And I'm not moving till someone says so..." a beeping told the blonde that someone was trying to call her.
********
"Come on, baby. Pick up," Detective Danny Reagan pleaded as he watched the tv. As soon as he heard her answer, he started talking. "Linda! Oh my gosh, are you okay? Where are you? Is the okay?"
"Danny! Thank goodness! We're all okay." Linda sighed of relief. Her husband was okay.
"Good. Listen, I want you and everyone else to go to Dad's. That'll be a safe haven for now."
"Okay. I'll call everyone and tell 'em."
"Good. You do that. I gotta go help."
"No, Danny! Wait!" She called before he could hang up.
"Whassamatter?"
"You can't go! You don't know if they'll attack again!"
"Linda, I'll be fine. Trust me."
She sighed, she knew that tone. And there was absolutely no way she would be able to talk him out of it. "Be careful."
"Always."
"Please come home to me. I can't do this alone." She said, referring to parenthood and living without him.
"Always." As much as he wanted to make his wife feel at ease, he was really itching to go help.
"Danny."
"What is it, babe?" A teensy bit of annoyance coated his voice.
"I love you."
Danny smiled a little, "Love you more."
"Love you most. Be safe."
"I will. I promise." He hung up and started gathering a 'rescue crew'.
*********
When Linda arrived at Commissioner Frank Reagan's house, she was greeted with hugs.
Once everyone was in the living room, Linda told the news, "Danny's helping out."
Erin nodded, "Joe is, too. He says every squad is going to help."
"I hope everyone's gonna be okay."
Seeing the fear in her eyes, Henry Reagan grabbed Linda's hand, "the best thing we can do now is pray."
*********
As Danny helped people out of the rubble and destruction, he kept his eyes out fo two people. Seeing one of them, he sighed and started to slightly run over to them. "Joe!"
Joe Reagan looked up, "Dan!" He briefly hugged his older brother. "Everyone okay? The family? Jamie?"
"Jamie's in Boston. Not much he can do. Everyone else- they're all at Dad's house. Safe and sound." Continuing to help, he asked, "Have you seen Dad?"
"No. I was hoping you knew where he was."
Simultaneously, they looked at the towers. "Oh no...."