Does It Ever Get Easier?

Linda stared sadly at the ceiling that night. The longer Danny was away, the more she felt sad. She had no idea it'd be as hard as it was. The first tour Danny took was bad enough, but that was different. They were only dating, starting new lives as they chose a college and a life path.
Maybe it's different this time cause we're married? Cause I know him so well, the good, the bad, the funny, the intimate... she bit her lip as the now-normal tears fell. Ever since Danny had left, she'd been crying herself to sleep.
Meanwhile, outside in the hall, Mary was passing the room when she heard sobs. She stopped to listen to see if there was anything she could do. She must've stayed out in the hall for about five minutes before she knocked. "Linda? Sweetie, are you okay?" She pushed open the door.
"I'm okay..." she lied, not turning to face her mother in law.
"Are you sure?"
"Uh huh."
"Okay.... remember, we're just down the hall if you need anything."
"Thank you."
Mary turned to leave when Linda's voice stopped her,
"I'm scared."
"Of what, sweetie?"
"Of the fact that there's a high possibility that Danny won't come home. Or when he does... he'll be broken. He'll snap and- and... hurt himself or us accidentally. And.... it's just so hard! I can't live without him!"
"I know, honey. But I went through this, too. When Frank went to fight in the Vietnam War." Mary sat on Linda's bed, "so please come to me when you need to talk or you need a shoulder to cry on. Because I'm here for you."
Linda nodded, "thank you."
"You're welcome."
"Does it ever get easier? Does the fear ever go away?"
Mary frowned, she wished she could tell Linda that the fear does go away. That everything goes back to normal after the first year- with the exception of Danny not being there. She wanted to tell her things got so much easier, but she knew it wasn't different for Linda, because it had already been three years, and she was still as scared as she was the first year. "Do you want the truth?"
Linda paused before answering, "No."
Mary smirked, "things get so much easier. You get used to an empty bed at night, no arms to hold you, no heartbeat to lull you to sleep. You get used to cooking for three, and you'll never cry when you make his favorite food or watch his favorite movie or go to his favorite places. Everything gets terribly easy, life goes back to the way it was before you knew him. Just happy, routinely, dull life."
"Liar. I know that's a lie. Cause it's been three years, and I'm still not used to it."
Mary smiled a little and kissed Linda's forehead, "you learn to live with it. It will get a little easier, that's true. Treasure the weeks when Danny's back for R&R. Treasure them like their the last weeks on earth-"
"Because they just might be your last weeks with him." Linda interjected quietly.
The mother of four sighed, "everything will work out. Trust me."
She nodded, "you're a good person, you know?"
Mary smiled, "so are you, sweetie. Try and get some sleep, hm?"
Linda nodded, "goodnight, Mary."
"Good night, Linda." Mary made her way back to her bedroom, where her husband slept peacefully. She said a quick prayer of thanks for the fact that Frank had made it home. She snuggled up next to him and kissed his shoulder, "I love you, Frank."