Four Moods

Erin looked to Joe, confusion written on her face.
"Your husband here just insulted Linda." Joe explained, "how exactly did you think that would go over? She's sensitive about these things.... you know the only guy she's ever slept with is my older brother. Unlike the rest of us, she stuck to marriage before sex. She's totally in love with Danny, and she'd never cheat. Not ever! And if you can't see that...." he did his version of "the friendly finger". Each Reagan had a different gesture- Danny hit his fist on his other palm; Erin's was a soul-shaking look or scratching her neck and secretly giving the finger; Joe's was hitting his arm like Richard Dreyfus did in Jaws; Jamie hadn't developed one yet; and Linda's was holding her hand in the air and making a fast swipe like she was cleaning a window.
Joe walked away, intending to comfort Linda. He walked up to Danny's old bedroom, only to find Jamie sitting in there with her.
"If I could, I'd be drinking wine, or beer, or whiskey, or scotch, or anything alcoholic, really," Linda frowned. "Why is he such an ass?"
"... he was dropped as a baby?" Jamie ventured, hoping to get Linda laughing.
She smirked, giggling. Her lips curled more, and her toothy-grin that Danny loved presented itself on her face. She laughed until tears hit. Reaching for the bag of Cool Ranch Doritos on the bedside table, she stated, eating a chip, "I feel like I have only four moods nowadays. I'm either pissed, crying, tired and upset, and missing Danny all while eating things that're gonna go directly to my hips... I shouldn't even bother eating this! And all four of my moods are always front and center!"
Jamie frowned, deciding it'd be better if he didn't point out she had said five moods, "it'll be okay-"
"Everybody keeps saying that, but it's not okay! The only reason I'm not dead or more have scars on myself is because I'm carrying a human inside me!"
The college boy didn't know what to say to that. He didn't know she was that depressed.
"Did you believe me?" Linda wondered quietly, clutching the bag of chips.
"What?"
"When I said I was pregnant. Did you believe me that it was Danny's?"
"Of course I believed you. I naturally assumed you two horn-dogs had sex nonstop before he came back each time."
"Can we stop referring to Danny as if he was dead? It's always he was, not he is. He's still alive you know."
Joe decided to knock on the door at that moment, "you okay?"
"No." She chomped on a chip. Holding out the bag to Joe, she asked, "chip?"
"I'm okay."
"We're gonna head back downstairs, okay, Linda?" Jamie wanted to talk to his brother alone.
She nodded, "gimme a few."
The brothers nodded and exited the room. Jamie pushed Joe into his room, "Joe, we got a problem."
"I know. This is bad stuff."
"Yeah. I didn't know Linda was that depressed."
"Me neither. I mean, we're all sad, but..."
"Wanting to cut and/Or kill herself? And having done it before?..." Jamie looked to his older brother, "you think we should tell Mom?"
"Jamie, we're adults. We do not go running to our mother when things get tough." Joe stuck his hands in his pockets, "you wanna tell her or should I?"
"Where is she?" Jack made the two brothers jump.
"Where is who?" Joe raised an eyebrow.
"The blonde. Where is she?"
"She has a name, you know." Jamie answered, his annoyance matching Joe's.
"Where's Linda?" He rolled his eyes.
"Danny's old room."
Jack walked to the room and strode in. He was going to open his mouth to say something, but Linda spoke first.
"I don't want your apology." She nearly growled. "I don't ever wanna see you again. And if you ever accuse me of sleeping around again, you're gonna wake up with a limb missing." She pushed past him, knocking him into the wall. She stomped down the steps and to the hall phone. She called the desired number and waited.