[ 3 ]

"...his eyes widened as he read what Anxiety would be taking part in..."

[ Roman's POV ]

"THERE'S A SCHOOL PLAY?!"
Roman screeched as he read the flyer. The production this year was something called "Sanders Sides", which Roman knew was a Broadway show where a guy called Thomas talks to his different personality traits to figure out his problems. Roman absolutely adored the songs in that musical. He was so looking forward to auditioning! Roman's voice was beautiful and he was well aware. He was definitely going to get the part of Thomas, with all the amazing solos! And it was going to be hilarious to see Anxiety embarrass himself! Roman ran back towards his friends to tell them the good news.

————

Mrs Carley slammed her hands onto Roman's desk, startling Roman from his sleep. He blearily looked up, and a pink piece of paper fluttered down onto his face.
"Detention." Mrs Carley snapped, walking back over to her desk. "I never expected this kind of behaviour from you, Roman. Sleeping in class? That's a stunt I expect from Lance, not you. Detention is after school next Monday."
"Next MONDAY?!?!? But that's the date of the auditions for the school play! Oh no please no! I'll do anything I swear anything!" Roman cried, as the rest of his class filed out of the classroom after the bell signalled the end of the day.
"Maybe this will teach you not to fall asleep in my lesson," Mrs Carley said sternly, peering over her square glasses at the quivering 15-year-old. What she did not expect, was the boy to burst into tears.
"OH PLEAAAASE MRS CARLEY! PLEAAAASE!" Roman wailed, tears pouring down his rosy cheeks, utterly distraught. "THIS MEANS EVERYTHING TO MEEEEE!"
Mrs Carley blinked several times.
"Geez! Alright then, if it means that much to you, I can reschedule your detention for Tuesday instead."
"OhhhHh THANK YOU MRS CARLEY YOU'RE THE BEST!"
Roman instantly leapt up, beaming. He grabbed his bag and ran out of the classroom. Mrs Carley sighed and shook her head, trying not to smile. That kid was certainly something!

————
Roman hurtled down the corridor, determined not to miss the bus. That was a close call! He almost had to miss the auditions just because he stayed up way too late last night watching every video he could find on YouTube of Lin-Manuel Miranda. Roman was determined to copy that man's effortless confidence and charisma, and then there would be no doubt that he would get the part of Thomas. Roman smiled to himself as he pushed open the doors and-

Something smacked Roman in the face, sending him tumbling to the ground. "Owww..." Roman scowled, rubbing his head. Whatever he had hit, was about as hard as a brick wall.
"Watch where you're going, pretty boy," a familiar voice growled. Roman looked up to see the scowling face of none other than his greatest enemy, Anxiety.
"I am pretty, aren't I?" Roman quipped, trying to maintain a confident attitude while in a heap on the floor. Anxiety sighed exasperatedly and offered a hand to help him up. Roman raised his eyebrows, but took it, and Anxiety hauled him up. His hand was surprisingly soft and warm, and Roman tried to ignore this as their noses awkwardly touched as he stood up.
"Well this has been a great chat, but I have a concert I gotta go to." Anxiety said in his usual growly voice, letting go of Roman's hand.
"Um yeah! You better run!" Roman responded, causing Anxiety to make a strange noise between a scoff and a laugh. The purple haired teen turned around and vanished.

"That was weird," Roman muttered to himself, running a hand though his soft brown hair. His hand felt strange and tingly from when he had held Anxiety's. Roman grimaced and shook his head in disgust. What a peculiar feeling, he thought, trying to shake the image of Anxiety's warm brown eyes from his head.

—————

Roman has noticed our dark strange son 😏