[ 11 ]

"Patton's brown eyes met Roman's.

"It has to be Anxiety.""

Roman's PoV

After lunch, Roman was suddenly flung into a mood where he was itching for a fight. Whether that was because he was stressed about the notes or the school play auditions, or something else, but either way, he had snapped at everyone, stomped on someone's foot for no reason and thrown a Year 7's water bottle in the trash. He even got so annoyed at his contact lenses that he took them out and stomped on them. This resulted in him in wearing his large, thick framed, circular glasses for the rest of the day.

"What seems to be bothering you?" Logan asked him as they waited for their teacher to arrive.
"Nothing, ok? Just back off," Roman snipped.
"Wow... someone's on his man period today," said a snarky voice. Roman turned around to see a familiar purple haired emo.
"Ugh, it's you. Now you can definitely f*ck off,"
Virgil's eyes widened and he smirked. "I think I like this version of you, four eyes,"
"Four eyes isn't an insult. It's better to have four eyes than one,"
Virgil rolled his eyes exaggeratedly. "I have two eyes, not one."
"Oh? Then why can't you see that I don't give a shit?"
"Somethings definitely up with you."
"Oh my God. Do you only have one brain cell as well? I said... Leave. Me. Alone,"
Virgil shrugged and sat down on a desk at the back of the class.

"Hey kiddo! Do ya need a cookie?" Patton skipped over to where his two friends sat. "Cookies always help me when I'm stressed!"
Roman immediately felt his body soften. He pouted and held his hands out for the baked good. Patton chuckled. "Here you are kiddo!" He placed a warm cookie in Roman's hands. Roman was somewhat confused at why the cookie was warm since they were at school, but he didn't hesitate to shove the cookie in his mouth. While he was chewing, he felt Patton wrap his arms around his shoulders. At first he stiffened, but then he relaxed into his best friend's warm embrace. "You feeling better now?" Patton asked, his voice muffled by Roman's hair.
"Yes, daaad," Roman smiled, pulling away from his hug. "Thanks,"
"No problemo!" Patton beamed, seemingly delighted to have cheered up his friend. Right on cue, Mr Calazans entered the classroom and their lesson began.

————

"Hey Roman, can you stay behind for a bit?" Mr Calazans said to Roman as the rest of the students left to go home.
"Sure," Roman replied; there was still 10 minutes until the auditions. His stomach flipped at the thought.
"I gather that you're auditioning for the school play?" Mr Calazans said, sitting on his desk. The teacher was pretty young, maybe in his early thirties. He was also the teacher running the school play.
"Heck yeah! I'm so excited!" Roman exclaimed, striking a pose for no particular reason. He saw Mr Calazans smile at him. He couldn't help but notice that the smile was rather sad. Maybe the teacher was sad he didn't have kids?
"Well then that's great Roman. There's a certain part I think you'll be perfect for," the teacher grinned, running his hands through his chestnut hair.
"Really? Which one?"
"Well, I probably shouldn't say, so you'll just have to wait and see."
Suddenly, someone's phone started to buzz, and Mr Calazans pulled out his iPhone to stop the alarm.
"Looks like it's time to begin. Head on to the sports hall, Roman."
Roman stood up and made his way to the door.
"And Roman?"
"Yes, sir?"
"Try your best."
Roman turned back and smiled.
"I will!"