[ 13 ]

"Ok guys of you go!"

Roman's POV

Roman took a deep breathe, and let a bright smile spread across his face.

"What is up guys!"

————-

After the audition, Roman sat down to watch the others with Logan and Patton. Roman felt pretty good about his acting; he was pretty confident he could get the part of Thomas. That was, until, he saw the next group of pupils performing.

"I'm Tom, year 11,"

"Cat, year 9,"

"PJ, year 9,"

"Sam, year 10,"

"And I'm Dan, year 11,"

And then they started the scene. As Roman watched Dan move across the stage, natural and confident, but slightly awkward- perfect for the role of Thomas- Roman began to feel incredibly nervous. Roman was naturally dramatic, loud and obnoxious, and he tried to cover that up in the audition, but this guy- Dan, he was perfect. He said the wholesome lines with a sweet expression, he glared at Deceit with real looking fear and confusion. Roman looked down at his hands folded in his lap. He had no chance. After they finished the scene and everyone applauded, the drama teachers excused themselves to backstage, where they would discuss who made it through. Nervous chatter filled the air, and Roman turned to look at his two friends. "I've got no chance," Roman sighed. Logan adjusted his glasses.
"I'm going to be frankly honest here. You won't get the part of Thomas. That's for certain. Dan will," Logan said matter-of-factly. Roman felt his stomach drop. "However..." Logan continued. "I overheard the teachers during the audition. They want you to audition for Creativity."
Roman felt a small smile spread across his face! Yes! He would still have a chance to shine! It may not be the main role, but it was still something. Roman glanced over to where Dan stood awkwardly at the side of the hall. He didn't seem to have many friends, and he towered above the few he did have. He looked so uncomfortable- shy, almost. Roman frowned. He acted so confident on stage. Roman squinted a bit more and saw purple colouring across Dan's face, probably haphazardly covered with foundation. Bruises? Why did Dan have bruises? Roman shook his head. It was none of his business.

"When did Virgil audition?" Roman asked his friends.
"Virgil? Who's Virgil?" Patton said.
"Virgil is the birth name of 'Anxiety', who, rather ironically, auditioned after you for the role of Thomas' Anxiety. He did an excellent job, however all things considered, he wasn't really acting. He was being himself," Logan replied. Patton gasped, his eyes twinkling. "Anxiety's name is VIRGIL?"
Roman nodded to confirm, causing the blonde 15-year-old to sprint over to where Virgil was sitting in the corner. Logan and Roman sighed simultaneously, and followed him to make sure he didn't do anything stupid.
"Hey Viiiiiirgil!" Patton squealed, patting Virgil on the head like a dog.
"What the- how in... how do you know my name?" Virgil snapped, pulling away from Patton's hand.
"Roman told me!" Patton replied cheerfully. Virgil turned his furious gaze to Roman.
"I did not- I swear I didn't- it was Logan I swear!" But Virgil didn't want to hear it. He leapt up and starting chasing Roman around the hall. It went a little something like this.

Virgil: Come BACK HERE YOU SNEAKY BASTARD!

Roman: *unholy screaming*

Virgil: I'm going to kill you, you fucking wuss!

Roman: *higher pitched screaming*

After about the fifth lap around the hall, everyone had stopped talking and were taking videos of the chase. Someone had even started passing around popcorn.

Roman had finally run out of stamina and had turned around to face the purple haired teen.
"I didn't do it! I swear I didn't!"

Virgil took a step forward.

"Logan told Patton I swear-"

Virgil came closer.

"Virgil..."

Virgil raised his hand.
Roman closed his eyes and prepared himself for impact.

But it never came.

Roman opened his eyes and felt Virgil squish his face. Then Virgil simply smiled and walked away.

The entire crowd awwwwd and went back to chatting loudly.

What... what was that?

Roman touched his face. His cheeks were hot and his heart was racing. What was wrong with him? His stomach felt like it had shrunk.

"Helloo students!"

Mr Calazans' voice snapped him from his thoughts. Roman grit his teeth and braced himself for the news.