[ 20 ]

"What the fuck are you doing, Princey?"

Roman's POV

"Viiirrrgil! Heeeeey," Roman said, scrambling up. "How's it going?"
Virgil glared at him, disgust written all over his face.
"I can't believe I have to pretend to date you," he groaned. "What in the ever loving fuck are you doing, anyway?"
"Me? Oh nothing! Nothing at allll," Roman said with a fake grin, taking a glance at Virgil's shoes. They were scuffed black trainers- not the polished Italian shoes that belonged to the mysterious figure.
"Oh come on, Princey, stop fooling around. I know you're also investigating those weird notes that have been left around the school,"

Roman did a double take. How on earth did Virgil know that?
"Look, I had been collecting those notes for weeks, and a week ago they must've fallen out of my bag. And then I saw you with them. And, apart from being utterly incompetent at maths..." Roman coughed offendedly. "...you're pretty intelligent. I guessed you'd figure it out."

Roman awkwardly adjusted his red hoodie. From the past few days, he'd been so busy with homework, the auditions and the whole dad thing yesterday that the notes had kind of slipped his mind. Of course, until this morning.

"So did you see who that guy was? The one who ripped up the newest message?" Roman enquired, walking over to the bins to pick out the torn pieces.
"Sadly, I didn't," Virgil replied with a huff. "But I do know that whoever it was, must be in chess club, because they're the only ones with access to the school this early in the morning."
"Could be a teacher," Roman muttered, fishing out the final piece from the bin.
Virgil scratched his chin. "Yeah. I didn't think of that."
"Well we might as well make a list of the viable suspects. Of course there's also the person who put the message there in the first place. But that could be anyone."
"Not quite everyone," Virgil said with a smirk. "The note wasn't there yesterday afternoon, which means the only people who could've have put it there would be the people who were in detention yesterday evening."
Roman gave the purple haired teen a half smile. "Nice. Looks like the mystery is on its way to being solved."

"Guess so," Virgil chuckled. "But by the way, there's a piece of toilet paper stuck on your shoe."