[ 6 ]

"You are aware that students being here is prohibited before school hours?"

Virgil's POV

Roman screamed for the third time that morning, flailing his arms around and almost hitting Virgil in the face. Virgil gave him a look of disgust and turned to face the person in the chair.
"Hey... Logan," he muttered, feebly raising a hand. Apart from Roman, who he'd been rivals with since they were toddlers, he was really crap around people. His shoulders stiffened up, his voice went quiet and his face immediately went gloomy. And, from what Dee had told him, Roman and Logan were some of the most annoying, arrogant people in the school.
"LooOOgan!?? Is that you?" Roman gasped. Logan switched the light on, revealing his plain but smartly dressed self.
"Yes, it is indeed me." Logan said, adjusting his glasses for no reason. "My apologies for the rather dramatic greeting. I much prefer working in the dark,"
"Working?" Virgil questioned, instantly regretting it after his voice cracked mid word. Luckily, the other boys had the decency not to comment on it.
"Ah yes. I realise now that you are unaware of my part-time job. The headmistress approached me last year to inform her what happens around the school. The conflicts, the problems, the cliques. All of which are very interesting data collection. She is very much aware of everything that happens at school, which helps her resolve arguments and fights, she has reliable information for the teachers so the bullies don't have the opportunity to pick on their usual targets, etc. I was just making some notes on yesterday," Logan looked up from the notes he had been writing. "Virgil, I never knew that-"

"WAIT WAIT WAIT!!" Roman screeched, waving his arms around again. "You're name is VIRGIL??"
Virgil swallowed and scratched the back of his neck. "I..." He angrily looked towards the heavens, trying to think of something to say. "Yeah?"
Roman mouth dropped open. "I thought your name would be something super strange and embarrassing, but Virgil..." Virgil liked the way his name rolled off Roman's tongue. "...that's almost... nice?"
Virgil rolled my eyes. "What where you expecting?"
"I don't know, maybe... Stanley? Wilfred?"
Virgil smirked from underneath his hood. Roman held eye contact with him for a second too long, and then suddenly looked up at the ceiling. Virgil rolled his eyes. What a weirdo.
"The auditions for the school play are eventuating this afternoon. Will either of you be attending?" Logan enquired, pencil at the ready to take notes.
"Yeah," Virgil and Roman said simultaneously. Virgil glanced over to the cocky teenager to his right. Of course Roman would be auditioning for the school play. Just great.
"Sanders Sides is the best musical ever!" Roman exclaimed, randomly striking a pose.
"It is indeed an enjoyable, well written show. I am thinking of auditioning myself."
Virgil expected Roman to scoff, but instead he said encouragingly, "You make the best Logic ever!"
Huh. That was surprisingly nice.

Logan looked uncharacteristically bashful. "Well, thank you. That is quite kind of you."
Roman grinned. "Not a problem, nerd,"
Watching the cute interaction made Virgil distinctly uncomfortable. He turned towards the door, intending to leave, feeling unwanted.
"Virgil, where are you going?"
He turned around.
"Don't get the impression that I like you, but we need your help to find the footage."
Virgil smiled, slightly. Maybe they weren't so bad after all.