[ 15 ]

"Virgil strung the first chord, and Roman began to sing."

Roman's POV

"Next up we have Virgil and Roman, singing 'Breathe' by I I I!"

Roman and Virgil walked onto the stage, their shoes thudding on the dirty wooden flooring. Silence hung in the air, Roman's stomach felt like it had been wrung out and he was so sweaty that he was wearing his blazer to cover the sweat stains. He took a deep breathe. He could do this.

The two petrified teens awkwardly sat on the two chairs, facing each other. Roman glanced at Virgil's face; the purple haired boy's eyes were wild, his hands were shaking. Roman swallowed his fear and gave him a small, reassuring smile. Virgil unsteadily returned it. They had practised. They could do this. Virgil strummed his ukulele and they began to sing.

"Trapped.

Lungs tight.

Suffocating...

Can't breathe, can't breathe.

Gasp.

For air.

Nobody cares.
Nobody even notices,"

Their voices melded together in a glorious harmony, not once hitting a wrong note, and Virgil's painted nails hit the strings at exactly the right beat.

"He dares to speak in sunshine,

Especially when I don't dare.

He is flawed, sure,

He isn't mine, sure."

Virgil smoothly switched to the next key.

"Oh, he dares to speak in sunshine,

Especially when I don't dare.

He is flawed, sure...

He isn't mine, sure.

Help me breathe?"

Roman heaved in a massive breathe as Virgil strummed the final chord.

There was silence.

Suddenly the audience erupted into applause, people cheering and awwing, and in that moment, Roman watched as Virgil sat on that chair on that stage, those impossibly bright lights lighting up his face, his eyes shining as he turned to Roman, Virgil had never looked more happy in the years of Roman knowing him. Here, on stage, filling people with awe and happiness, was where they belonged.

"That was fantastic, you guys! Such talent!"

The two thanked Mr Calazans aren't walked back off stage.

"Holy sh*t man..." Virgil muttered as they walked into the storage cupboard to put away the ukulele. "In all my times performing, I've never felt that nervous."

"All your times performing?"

Virgil whipped around, bright pink. "As in, like, primary school nativity plays and stuff? Remember those? Haha..."

Roman smiled at the recollection. "You played the front half of the donkey and I was the back. GOSH that was mortifying to have your butt in my face for an hour!"

"Hah, I'm sure you enjoyed it, Princey."

Roman's heart skipped a beat.
"What did you just call me?"

"You're going to audition for Creativity, right? I mean it makes sense. Princey."

"Oh my gosh you're literally so annoying, Virgil,"

"OHHhhH mY gOsh," Virgil mimicked.

"Shut up!"

The two continued to squabble as they walked back out the hall to watch Logan and Patton's duet. They both had amazing voices, plus Patton kept genuinely beaming at Logan with pure happiness and Logan kept doing that "I'm trying to restrict emotions but you make me really happy," face that Logic always does in the musical.

"They'd make a sweet couple," a voice muttered behind them.

"Heck yeah they would!" Roman exclaimed, turning around to see who spoke. "Oh hey! Dan, right?"

"Y-yep! That's me, haha..." Dan looked very confused at why Roman was speaking to him. Roman glanced at Phil, who was clutching Dan's hand and glaring at Roman rather protectively. Roman looked at the bruises on Dan's face, then over to where the Paul brothers were standing at the back, glaring at them. Realisation dawned on his face.

"After Dylan got expelled for attacking Phil, he outed you didn't he? And then the Paul brothers, being the disgusting homophobes that they are, (I'm sorry for making the Paul brothers like this if u Stan them. I just needed some well known YouTubers to make the villains) started bullying you, didn't they? And they probably threatened to hurt Phil if you told anyone?"
Dan and Phil looked at each other with shocked eyes.
"H-how? What..."

"I can get them expelled."

"What?"

"I can get them expelled! I have a friend who has access to all the security tapes dating back to about 30 years ago. Ever since more and more people were being expelled due to being caught by said friend, the Paul brothers have been careful not to do anything bad near CCTV. But I'm sure I can find something."

Dan's brown eyes started welling up.
"You would do that? For me? But we don't even know each other-"

"Hey, Dan. It may take a while but I'll do it gladly. Anything to help out a fellow gay in the wild," Roman replied with a wink. He turned back around to see Virgil staring at him.

"What? You got a problem with me being gay?" Roman snapped.

"Pfft no, I got a problem- with... ur... your face!"

Roman rolled his eyes. Virgil had lost his wit.