[ 9 ]

"Roman shoved the papers inside his bag and decided to work on them tomorrow."

Roman's POV

"Hey Patton, could you help me out?"

The blonde haired teen looked up from the cookie he was munching. "Sure Roman! What's up?"
"I found these pieces of paper with messages written on them. I think there's some sort of code encrypted in the random words?"
"Ooh! Codes! How exciting!"
Patton beamed and wriggled over to sit closer to him on the bench. Roman pushed away his small, half eaten lunch and discreetly passing the notes to Patton's hand. Roman looked up and saw Dee's gang glaring at them, so Roman huddled closer to Patton to ensure they didn't see what they were doing. Virgil visibly flinched and fake vomited; Roman rolled his eyes at his rival's childish behaviour. Patton started giggling, and though Roman didn't know why, a small chuckle escaped his lips. Patton's laugh was infectious. The blonde furrowed his brow for a second, and then broke into a grin.
"This code is so easy!"
"Huh?? No it's not-"
"You simply take the first word of the first line, the second word of the second line etc and piece them together to make the message!"
"Wait..."
Roman grabbed the messages and laid them out and wrote their meanings on the bottom of each one. He then rearranged them into an order that made sense.

Nobody wants the
I'm can crying
Yes please know

Nobody can know

Why did you get

Why

They could have done
No might be just
I'm sorry stop about
Yes I am us

They might stop us

Fine. I'm fine with me
I'm do not want him
So now you know what
I just don't have any
Yes please let us it

Fine. Do you have it?

Roman pursed his lips. The fact that the two mystery people were worried that someone might try to stop what they were doing- whatever it was- must mean it wasn't good. He turned to his best friend. "Patton, you're a genius!"
Patton smiled and blushed. "Awh stop it! Logan's been teaching me a few things!"
Roman grinned and rolled his eyes. Of course Logan taught him that!
"But seriously. These two people might be doing something really bad. We have to do something!" Patton whispered.
"Yeah I agree. But we need more information first. We need to intercept any new messages without them knowing!"
"But how will we know where to find them? When the next one will be delivered? And who's even delivering them?"

"Ok so clearly the two people messaging each other don't have public ties to each other, otherwise they could simply just tell each other these things in person. They obviously don't want to be caught conversing for whatever reason, which leads me to believe they can't be in the part of the same friend group or clique."

"I suppose that makes sense. But why can't they just meet in person outside of school?"

"That's a good point. There's probably an element of mistrust in there. The two people probably don't trust each other enough to meet somewhere outside of school. They're keeping each other at an arms length, and there's certainly someone who we know for sure who's paranoid enough to do that." Roman glanced over at Anxiety who was obliviously eating a bagel.

"Ok, but why couldn't they just text each other?"

"Maybe that person is so mistrustful, that they think that the other person might hack into their phone just by having each other's number. They're just so anxious that they can't risk anything."

Patton's brown eyes met Roman's.

"It has to be Anxiety."