[ 14 ]

Here's some music to listen to while you read!

—————-

"Roman grit his teeth and braced himself for the news."

Roman's POV

"So, the people through to the next round are: Sam, Dan, Patton, Tom, Logan, "Anxiety" I think your name is Virgil? I'm not sure, Cat, Mark, Sean, Felix, Jon, Dodie, Marzia, Shawn, Lily Singh, Roman..."

As soon as Roman heard his name, he sighed with relief and stopped listening. Wait, did Mr Calazans say Sam? The same Sam who Dee hooks up with every week? Roman glanced around and saw Dee watching from the back, a smug smile on his voice. Roman tried not to vomit.

"Alright then. Sorry everyone who didn't get through, there's always next year. You can also join the crew and help out backstage. Actually to be completely honest, you'll just be slaves for our Stage Managers Phil, Louise, Jack and Dean,"

The year 7s that Roman was with shrugged and walked over to where the Stage Managers were standing with sign up sheets.

"People who didn't make it are welcome to stay and watch, or you can leave, I don't mind. Just don't vandalise the school,"

There was loud shuffling as around half the people who didn't make it stood up and left the hall.

"Anyway. The next round will be a singing round, considering this is a musical and all. And then after that, we'll run through some scenes and choose our final cast."

Some Year 9 randomly whooped, causing everyone to laugh.

"Haha very funny, Emma. Now you can choose any song to sing, not explicit words please, there are children present."

A few people from the audience chuckled.

"You can use any instruments we have available back stage, and you can also have a backing track. You have 10 minutes to pick a song. You can do duets! But that might ruin your chance of your voice being noticed. Of you go!"

"Oh dear. Singing." Logan muttered in his usual monotone voice.
"Don't worry Logan! We can do a duet! And we can do cool harmonies and stuff!" Patton said happily. Logan looked at him with a mixture of surprise and gratitude.
"You would do that? For... me?"
"Of course, silly! Now let's find a ukulele for me to play! Bye Roman!"
"Bye-"
But they were already gone.

Roman shrugged and decided to follow them backstage. He wanted to play an I I I song, and those always had ukuleles in them. Just as he was about to open the door to the storage cupboard, he heard loud sniffling. It sounded like it was coming from the toilets?
Roman quietly opened the toilet door, not wanting to alarm the person crying.

"I can't do it I can't do it,"
A voice choked.

"Hey... are you okay?"
Roman asked softly.

The crying quietened abruptly, but didn't stop. It sounded like the person was struggling to breathe.

"Holy crap, you need some help! Open the door!"
He lightly rapped on the door the person was in.

"NO! GO AWAY, ROMAN!"
The voice hoarsely shrieked.

"Virgil?"

"Go away, Roman. I mean it."

It seemed like the more Roman talked, the more distracted Virgil got from his dark thoughts.

"Virgil, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, okay? I'm fine. I just had a small, completely normal anxiety attack. You satisfied now?"

Roman heard Virgil take a deep, hiccupy breath.

"You know, you can always tell Mr Calazans that you don't-"

"NO! I can't! I need to do this properly. I don't want special treatment." Virgil hissed out the last two words.

"Okay, then why don't we do a duet?"

"Why would I want to do a duet with an idiot like you?"

"UM excuse me?! I'll have you know that I'm an EXCELLENT singer!!"

Virgil let out a raspy chuckle. Roman smiled. Progress was being made.

"Fine, whatever."

"Are you going to open the door now?"

The door slowly creaked open, revealing a puffy eyed, disheveled, tear streaked Virgil.

Roman immediately pulled the boy into a hug.

Virgil stiffened, but quickly melted. He needed a tether to reality, something to stop him from sinking into the black hole of pure fear and irrationality.

"Ok! Let's go! Can we do an I I I song?"

Roman heard Virgil choke.

"An I I I song?"

"Hell yes! They're the best artist!"

"...sure,"

"Great!"

Roman pulled the purple haired teen out of the toilets and into the storage cupboard.

"Can you play the ukulele? Because I can, but not very well haha,"

"Urm, yes I can?"

Roman lifted an eyebrow. Why would an emo like Virgil play the ukulele?

"Ugh don't get the wrong idea. My mum forced me,"

"Oo. Ok,"

Roman didn't press the topic. They found a blue ukulele in the pile of broken guitars and drums, tuned it, and then walked out back into the hall. They were greeted by a horrible screech of noise; guitars and flutes and voices all battling to be heard as people practised. The two quickly retreated backstage again.

"Guess we'll just practise here, then."

Virgil pulled out two chairs from the pile and they sat down in the small dingy room where all the computers were.

"So which I I I song do you want to do?" Virgil asked, strumming a few random chords.

"The new one! The lyrics are quite confusing but I love it a lot!"

"The new one?" Roman could've sworn that Virgil turned bright pink, but he couldn't really tell in the terrible lighting.

"Can you harmonise?" Virgil asked Roman. The brunette shook his head.
"Guess I'll harmonise with you then."

Virgil strung the first chord, and Roman began to sing.