Chapter 2: Where Are You Now

Two Years Later - Unnamed Country

--

Recently promoted Captain Park Sooyoung, or Joy as she was known to her team, looked at the myriad of screens in front of her. She gripped a walkie-talkie in her left hand, in her right hand was a pen. Like everyone else in the room, she wore professional plain clothes.

In front of her, the screens showed a live feed of the operating area. If all worked out, this was going to be her last week in this country.

For the past two months, she had been assigned to lead a team on a protection mission, guarding Korean ambassadors and delegates in a dangerous foreign country. She had been picked to lead the mission due to her previous experience as a special forces officer. Joy had been given free rein on her team; her superior officer allowed her to pick from across the entire military.

"I suggest you take two linguists with you though," Major Bae 'Irene' Joohyun had told her.

At the time, Joy had merely raised an eyebrow at the suggestion but was now glad she did. One of the linguists, Warrant Officer Son 'Wendy' Seungwan, had been recalled back to Korea in the first week of the mission, leaving Joy with only Sergeant Shin "Peniel" Dong Geun to cover both roles.

Peniel was good at what he did though and had shouldered the increased responsibility with quiet confidence. Joy planned to recommend him for his promotion course when they returned to Korea.

The rest of her command team consisted of Kang Seulgi, another warrant officer, who was currently leading their ground team, Sergeant Major Lee Minhyuk who served as her second-in-command, Jung Ilhoon, a talented staff sergeant was her supply officer, and Staff Sergeant Im Hyunsik, who acted as her operations officer.

"I'm bored." A voice cut through the silence of the operations room.

Joy lifted her walkie-talkie to her mouth, "Yeri, cut the useless chatter."

"Yes Instructor, I mean, Captain," Corporal Kim 'Yeri' Yerim corrected herself as she continued to walk up and down the corridor.

Joy's mouth merely twitched as she watched her former student pace endlessly on screen. She had been Yeri's instructor at the Close Protection Academy and had chosen her to join her team for this mission.

The other instructors had placed bets on whether Yeri would flunk out. Only Joy and another instructor, Lieutenant Lee Changsub, had believed in her.

And it didn't hurt that they gave extra lessons to her just to make sure that they won.

The payout and looks on the other instructors were priceless when they saw Yeri marching off her graduation parade.

"Ambassador Kwon is preparing to leave the building," Seulgi's voice came through the channel. "All units to your stations."

"First squad, in position."

"Second squad, in position."

"Third squad," Joy saw Yeri sprint her to where she needed to be. "In position."

Seulgi looked up at the surveillance camera where she knew Joy and the operations centre would be watching from. She pulled her lapel closer. "All units, stand by."

The doors opened to reveal the Korean delegation followed by representatives of the Foreign government.

"Please... my regards... president." Seulgi's lapel microphone could only pick up some words as Seulgi moved in to escort the group out.

Joy concentrated her focus as she watched the ground team slowly convene squad by squad until all of them reached the black vehicles that were waiting to bring them back to the embassy.