Chapter 10: Friends

Sungjae was lounging lazily on his couch in his apartment. Half-eaten take-out containers were scattered on his coffee table, while the television was broadcasting reruns of an old drama. Sami was curled up beside him as he scrolled through the contacts in his phone. There wasn't a lot there. Changsub, his doctor, his parents, his sister, CEO Lee, Wendy, and most recently added, Park Sooyoung.

"Park Sooyoung?" he asked Joy as he watched her type her contact information.

"It's my real name," she explained as she finished typing. Joy extended his phone back to him with a smile. "You can call me Sooyoung. We're friends now, right?"

"I'd say you're more than that!" Yeri catcalled from behind. Sungjae's ears turned red, while Joy rolled her eyes.

"Kim Yerim!" she barked.

Yeri instantly stood to attention, although her face still featured a cheeky grin. "Corporal Kim Yerim, requesting permission to be dismissed!"

And without waiting for Joy's response, she did an about-turn and quickly left the office.

Joy sighed. "Sorry about her."

"Don't be," Sungjae chuckled. "Go, she's waiting for you."

"Can we do dinner some other time?" Joy asked.

"I'd like that."

"It's a date then," Joy gathered up her things and left Sungjae standing there, mouth gaping. "Text me later!"

And with that, she left him in the office.

Sungjae smiled at the memory as he pressed the message button beside Joy's contact information.

Where are you now?

--

A few hours earlier

--

Joy ran towards the elevator, feeling her embarrassment creep up towards her face.

It's a date, she had said. She had been so forward.

Joy shook her head furiously as she jabbed the elevator button continually in a useless attempt to make it come quicker.

The elevator finally came and Joy took refuge in it, finally alone with her thoughts.

Twice. Twice, they had come so close to kissing, but both times, they had been interrupted. And then she had told him her real name.

Irene's words came to her mind unbidden. "Take advantage of your situation."

At the time, Joy had been so sure of her professionalism, of her ability to separate the job and her personal feelings. Now, she was all over the place.

She didn't regret it though. Anything. Not one moment.

The elevator finally arrived at the first floor, where Yeri was waiting for her.

Yeri immediately sprang up from the bench she had been waiting on. "Instructor, I mean, Captain," she spluttered.

"Joy is fine," Joy smiled at the younger woman. "What are you doing here?"

"Irene and Seulgi sent me here," Yeri fell in step with her former instructor as they exited the building. "They wanted to see how you were doing."

"Ah," Joy raised her hand to hail one of the passing taxis. "So, I heard from Seulgi that you passed your promotion course, Yeri."

"Yes ma'am, thanks to you," Yeri mumbled her thanks.