Chapter 22: Convergence

Undisclosed Location – Seoul, Korea

--

They're here.

The laptop trilled loudly as the message notification lit up the screen, rousing the person slouching in the couch from their sleep.

"Finally," they growled softly as they leaned forward to type in new instructions.

"Make sure they don't suspect anything until the last moment," they muttered under their breath. "Sungjae is the priority here."

The person leaned back against their couch, reaching over to grab a half-drunken glass of red wine. Downing it quickly, they waited for whoever was on the other side to respond.

Understood.

The person laughed.

It was so close. The Breakthrough. It was almost in their hands.

They poured themselves another glass of wine, swirling it before taking another gulp.

"Sorry Sungjae," they said to no one in particular as they examined the wine in front of them. "But if Joy hasn't helped you regain your previous knowledge, then she's no longer needed in this plan."

--

Hainan, China

--

Joy and Sungjae exited the elevator, crossing the floor in easy strides as they walked towards the reception desk where they could see a man in a suit and SM Research ID card waiting for them.

As they walked closer, Joy was already scrutinizing their welcome party for any discrepancies in appearance that she had noticed from their first visit to SM Research. An ill-fitting suit, a misprint on their ID card, even the quality of the ink of the business card that was being extended to them.

"I'm SM Research's representative for today, Lee Hyuk," he said as he passed over his business card to Sungjae and Joy. The eyes behind his wire-framed sunglasses looked earnestly at the two of them.

"I'm CUBE Division's Research Director, Yook Sungjae," Sungjae replied, handing over his own business card. "This is my assistant, Park Joy."

"I thought her name was Yook Sooyoung," Hyuk said as he shook hands with both of them.

If Joy was embarrassed, she didn't let it show. "It's our cover for Mr. Yook's safety."

"Of course. Please, this way," Hyuk said as he extended his arm towards the entrance. "My car is waiting for us."

As they walked out of the lobby, Sungjae noticed that one of the other guests in the hotel had been taking notice of them, looking up ever so slightly in a manner that was so natural that if he wasn't certain that his life could be in danger, he would have ignored her.

He briefly locked eyes with the person who gave him a cheeky wink as she realized that he had caught her in the act. Bewildered, he tapped Joy on the shoulder.

"Sooyoung," he whispered once he was sure that Hyuk couldn't hear them. "Look," he pointed out the person who had now resumed "reading" her newspaper.

Joy discreetly looked over to the direction that Sungjae had pointed out to her. "Ah, Namjoo," she said as she waved to her subtly.

"You know her?" Sungjae asked as they passed through the doors.

"She's part of Chorong's team," she answered as she rounded the back of Hyuk's car and entered.

Hyuk turned around from the front seat, "Is everything alright?"

Joy gave him a smile that betrayed nothing, "Everything is fine."