Chapter 15: We Got Married

CUBE Division Company Building - Seoul, Korea

--

Sungjae checked the time on his phone twice before he looked around, searching for his girlfriend. He had wanted to walk in together with her, but she was nowhere to be found. He anxiously checked the time again and realized that he was about to be late for his first day back.

Slightly irritated, he sent a message to Joy, asking her where she was before he pressed the elevator button.

The up arrow lit up as the doors slid open to reveal Wendy in the elevator.

"Good morning Sungjae," she greeted him as he stepped into the elevator.

"Morning Wendy," he replied, as he pressed a button on the pad.

"How are you feeling now?" she asked him.

Sungjae shrugged, "Better now."

"And how did nurse Joy treat you?" Wendy asked him with a knowing smirk on her face.

Sungjae whipped his head around, "What do you mean?"

"Oh you know," Wendy continued to smile in a way that unnerved Sungjae. "She was practically at the hospital the entire time. She didn't even come into work.

"Did anything happen?" she asked him.

Sungjae shook his head furiously, "No, nope, nothing happened."

"I see," Wendy replied, noting his red ears.

Sungjae coughed loudly. "So, what are you doing in this wing? Isn't your department on the other side of the building?"

"I have a meeting with CEO Lee in a few moments," Wendy told him.

The elevator chimed softly as the doors slid open, revealing Changsub waiting for Sungjae outside.

"There you are!" he exclaimed as he grabbed hold of Sungjae.

"Hyung! What's going on?" Sungjae asked him as he was pulled roughly by Changsub into his department block.

"Surprise!"

Sungjae was stunned as Changsub pulled him into a department that was decorated with streamers, balloons, and a banner that welcomed him back. In the center of the chaos stood Joy, holding a cake. All of his workers were clapping for him as Changsub pushed him towards Joy.

"Did you plan this, Ms. Park?" he asked her with a teasing smile.

"Of course, Sungjae-ssi," she replied, not caring about the phones that were flashing in the background.

Changsub cleared his throat in the background.

Joy rolled her eyes. "Changsub helped out too."

"Hey! I was the one who thought of the idea!" Changsub said indignantly.

"But you didn't have anything ready until last night," Joy pointed out.

Changsub just shrugged. "I was waiting for him to wake up."

Sungjae just continued to look at Joy with the biggest smile on his face before she jerked her head, indicating that he should address the department.

Sungjae turned around to finally notice a crowd surrounding them, many of them recording them on their phones. He took a deep breath before he began to address them.

"I just want to say that I appreciate this welcome back," he began, scanning the crowd. "Thank you for all of your hard work. I'll do my best to become a more worthy director for you all."