Chapter 19: All Prepared

Sungjae and Joy slowly broke apart from each other, shyly bumping their foreheads against each other, swaying gently to the beat of their hearts.

Applause rippled sparsely throughout the garden before it died out, Sungjae and Joy tracking each member as they left their posts and melded back into the sea of people.

Changsub took out his earpiece and passed it over to Irene.

"All the preparations have been made," he whispered into Irene's ear.

Irene nodded imperceptibly. "Then..."

"They'll be waiting for them," Changsub confirmed as he watched the couple. "It might finally all be over after this."

Irene sighed. "I wish there was another way to do it."

"So do I," Changsub's face brightened slightly. "At least they'll be well-rested before it starts."

Irene narrowed her eyes at Changsub. "What did you do?"

Changsub just waved her off as he walked away to talk to Peniel, laughing to himself as he did so.

"What a strange man," Irene shook her head before she interrupted Sungjae and Joy.

"Let's get you two to your gate," she told them.

--

Irene escorted the two towards the security gate, parting the crowd of people that had appeared once people realized that Sungjae and Joy had staged a wedding in the garden. Many of them had taken out their phones to take pictures of the couple.

"Irene-ssi," Sungjae murmured underneath his breath. "What if they post our pictures on social media and it goes viral?"

"They won't be able to post," Irene said somewhat grimly. "We've put in a small social media whiteout in this immediate vicinity. You'll be safe until they leave the airport. It might take a while."

Sungjae nodded as he processed what Irene told him. He felt a hand brush against his and looked over to see Joy walking at a slight distance away from him.

"What are you doing over there?" he asked her in slight amusement.

"Trying to keep you safe," she said, looking straight ahead of her, hoping that none of the embarrassment that she was feeling was showing on her face.

Sungjae shook his head as he reached over and grabbed Joy's hand firmly and pulled her over to his side. "Stay by my side then," he told her softly. "Don't leave me."

Joy turned red as she watched Sungjae adjust their hands, allowing him to entwine his fingers with hers. "This is how I want to walk with my wife," he whispered into her ears.

Joy smiled back at him; her doubts assuaged. "Alright then, husband. Lead the way."

--

Sungjae marvelled at the ring that was resting comfortably on his left ring finger. It was a simple band of white gold that sparkled underneath the light.

Beside him, Joy slept peacefully, leaning up against him, her hand clutching his tightly.

They had been able to board the plane without any trouble, Irene escorting them up until the last moment. Sungjae assumed that airport security had been briefed as he spotted the other members of the Close Protection Unit walking casually around the departure terminal, blending in undercover.

They had sat near their gate, waiting to board their plane before Irene sat down behind them, wearing a different set of clothes.

"Don't turn around," Irene told them, looking around to make sure that there was no one in the vicinity that could listen in on their conversation.