Chapter 12: Tell Me Everything

Joy tried to process what she just heard Changsub say. "You must be joking," she spat at him. "There's no way that you were the one who asked for me."

"But I did," Changsub replied, uncharacteristically serious. "Or rather, I was the proxy."

"I don't understand," Joy instantly said, taken aback by the surprise confession.

The atmosphere in the waiting room became tense, as Yeri, Wendy, Seulgi, and Irene looked at Changsub and Joy. Joy was still trying to make sense of what Changsub had just told her, while Changsub gazed at her with a caring sadness.

"Changsub, I want an explanation," Joy finally said, but before Changsub could reply, the screen behind them softly chimed, informing them that the surgery was over.

The doors opened as the medical team wheeled Sungjae out on a hospital bed. He was still on conscious, but it didn't look like he had any major injuries. An IV drip was inserted into his arm, but all in all, it was more than they could have asked for.

One of the doctors came up to them. "Are any of you Mr. Yook's family?"

"She's his assistant," Yeri pointed at Joy. The doctor turned to Joy and took off her mask. "Mr. Yook will be fine. However, he's had a mild concussion. He won't be waking up any time soon."

Joy felt as though someone had punched her. "How long will he be out for?"

"It's hard to say," the doctor said gently. "At most, we estimate around a week. Maybe two."

"Will there be any damage to his brain? Memory loss?" Changsub asked from behind.

"We don't think so," the doctor said. "Our x-rays show that there was no damage to the brain. He's lost a lot of blood as well, but overall, he should be back in good health once he awakes."

Joy graced the doctor with her first genuine smile since the accident. "Thank you, doctor."

"Not at all," the doctor gestured towards the nurses who were waiting outside with Peniel and Hyunsik. "They'll take you to his room."

--

The group followed the nurses as they led them towards the VIP patient ward.

"CEO Lee got him a room here," Wendy explained to them. Joy only nodded as she continued to think about what Changsub had told her.

If he was the proxy, then he knew who requested the two of them together. Did that mean that Changsub knew about The Breakthrough?

Joy watched as the nurses wheeled Sungjae into his room, deftly manoeuvring the large bed into its designated spot. The nurses attached sensors and other apparatus to Sungjae as they set up the medical devices before they left the room with a bow.

Joy saw Hyunsik and Peniel stand guard once more outside of the room before the door closed softly.

She walked over to Sungjae's bedside and gently raked her fingers through his hair. She didn't care that there were others in the room watching her. She had had enough of hiding her feelings.

"Changsub," she started, still focused on Sungjae. "You said that you were the proxy?"

"I did," Changsub confirmed. He had taken a seat on one of the couches in the room. Wendy sat beside him, while Irene sat in one of the recliner chairs in the room, Seulgi and Yeri flanking her from both sides.

"Irene, did you know about this?" Joy asked, now caressing Sungjae's face. It had been too close of a call this time.

"I did," Irene echoed.