Chapter 6: It's Classified

Wendy watched as her former commander just stared into the cityscape. After they had returned from lunch, she had asked Sungjae if she could show Joy her department.

Sungjae had given his permission, so long as Joy came back before the end of the day. Wendy had assured him that she wouldn't take long and, after giving Changsub a look, left with Joy.

She hadn't taken her to department though and had instead taken Joy to the rooftop of the company building.

Joy had been dazed ever since Wendy had appeared. She had barely eaten during lunch. Occasionally, she would look over at Sungjae, glance over at Wendy, and then back at Sungjae, as though trying to infer some deeper meaning in their conversation.

If Wendy had to make an educated guess, she would say that Joy was acting like a jealous girlfriend.

"How long?"

Joy's voice snapped Wendy out of her thoughts. "I'm sorry?"

"How long have you been here?" Joy asked, still staring out towards the landscape. The wind blew her hair around gently.

"Since I was recalled from our last mission together," Wendy admitted. "Irene called me and told me that I was needed for a domestic mission."

"And what is your mission?"

"I can't say. I'm sorry," Wendy bowed her head apologetically even though the other woman wasn't looking at her.

"Is it classified?" Joy wondered aloud.

"Yes. Irene might be able to tell you," Wendy suggested, and she left it at that.

Joy just sighed. She knew that it was useless to push for anything further. "How many other people are working undercover here?"

"Just Changsub and I," Wendy answered.

Joy nodded. So that was within her clearance. "Is Sungjae related to your mission?"

"In a way," Wendy wondered if Joy really was affected by Sungjae. "Joy, we're just colleagues. Friends at most. He was the first one to reach out to me when I was slotted into this mission. I'm just an acting director. The real one will be back later.

"He's just a friend. Honestly. I've never seen him with another woman, and even when we have lunch, Changsub is there with us. He has a nickname in his department too. They call him the Great Wall of Yook," Wendy remembered with a laugh.

The Great Wall of Yook.

"They used to call me the Great Wall of Yook in my old lab."

The memory came unbidden for Joy. Sungjae had told her about his old nickname during one of their stolen moments together.

"Joy, there's seriously nothing between us," Wendy pleaded for Joy to look at her.

Joy sighed again and turned to look at Wendy. "I get it," she said. She walked over to Wendy and enveloped her in a hug. "It's good to see you again Wendy."

Wendy returned the hug, "A hug from you? This is rare," she said amusedly.

"Shut up."

--

Sungjae flicked the lights on in his condo and waited for his eyes to adjust.

"Sami," he called out into the apartment. He walked over to his refrigerator and grabbed a beer from inside. "Sami, where are you?"

He heard a lazy meow from behind him and turned around to see his cat lounging on his couch. Sungjae smiled. "There you are," he said as he opened his can of beer.