Chapter 20: Calm Before The Storm

"Joy, we're here."

Joy blinked her eyes as she woke up very slowly. She turned her head over and saw Sungjae watching her. Joy instantly felt alert, her previous exhaustion forgotten.

"You were supposed to wake me up before we got to the hotel," she accused Hayoung.

Hayoung snorted, "Talk to your husband."

Joy turned to face Sungjae who rewarded her with his best innocent look.

"You seemed tired," he told her. "Hayoung-ssi and Chorong-ssi are people that Changsub trusts, so, therefore, I trust them."

"Alright," Joy acquiesced. She waited for Chorong and Hayoung to get out of the car before she got out.

"Nothing suspicious," Hayoung whispered as she passed Joy's bag to her.

"And the hotel room?" Joy said.

"We've had the whole floor under surveillance since Changsub informed you about the plan," Chorong told her.

"Check-in, and we'll escort you up to your room."

Joy could only nod as she and Sungjae walked into the hotel lobby and approached the concierge at the desk.

The concierge looked up at the sound of their approaching steps and smiled broadly at them. "Good afternoon, welcome! How may I help you?"

"We'd like to check-in, please," Joy flashed him a quick smile. "Our friend made the reservation for us."

"Certainly, may I have your name?"

"Ahh, Park Sooyoung."

The concierge typed her name into his computer and frowned. "I'm sorry, I don't think we have a reservation under that name."

Joy was confused. The brief had specifically mentioned that Changsub had booked under her name. "Can you try again?"

"I just did," the concierge looked at them. "I'm very sorry, but our hotel is fully booked for the next two days. We won't be able to welcome you in today."

Joy thought hard and realized something. "Wait, could you look for Yook Sooyoung?"

The concierge humored her and typed it in, and to his surprise, found a booking. "Yes, we do have a Yook Sooyoung booked for the honeymoon suite."

Of course, Joy thought in her head. Outwardly, she was all smiles. "That's why. Park is my maiden name, we just got married, you see," she told the concierge, while hooking arms with Sungjae.

"She's just not used to her new name yet," Sungjae said as he played along, reassuring the concierge.

"Of course, I completely understand," the concierge said smoothly as he slid a form towards them. "If you could just sign here, I can give you your card keys in a moment and you can be on your way to your honeymoon."

Reaching over the counter, Joy signed the proffered sheet. The concierge quickly stapled the papers together and filed them away. Taking out two card keys, he swiped them through a reader, activating them before he gave them over to Joy.

"We hope you have a wonderful stay with us," he said with a bow. "Please enjoy your honeymoon."

Mumbling their thanks, Joy and Sungjae returned to Chorong and Hayoung who were waiting on the couches.

"All good?" Chorong asked them brightly.

"Changsub checked us in under Yook Sooyoung," Joy replied shortly.

Hayoung tried to cover her laughter, while Chorong's mouth just twitched. "I'll have a talk with him later," she assured Joy.

"Tell him we're going to bill him for the room service," Joy told her.