Chapter 5: I Knew You

"As per my previous email, I require access to the following documents..."

Sungjae stopped dictating his email as he typed and leaned back in his chair. After his meeting with Joy, his hand had felt the same phantom pain as he had two weeks ago when he first saw her on the television.

"I'm Park Joy," she said. Her face had become professional, almost reserved, Sungjae noted. Her eyes were looking straight at him with... knowing? Sadness? Pity? There were so many emotions flashed before him before they disappeared. Joy extended her hand towards him. "It's nice to meet you, Sungjae-ssi."

Sungjae took her hand, marvelling at the callouses he felt on her small hand. It definitely felt that she could hold her own in a fight. "It's nice to meet you too, Park Joy-ssi.

"Joy... that's an interesting name," he commented as he let go of her hand.

"I got it from someone special to me," she said not letting go of his gaze. Her eyes remained emotionless. "As your bodyguard, it'll be easier to use an alternate name when working."

"Right. Bodyguard," Sungjae felt a gentle brush on the hand he had shook Joy's hand with. He reached up and scratched the back of his head. "Well, as much as I believe in you and your abilities, I hope we won't need to see them."

"As do I," Joy answered stonily.

"However, we will need to you to learn how to act as one of my assistants," Sungjae's voice turned serious. "Changsub here will help you get caught up."

Finally some emotion. Joy looked at him in surprise. "I'm only here to be your bodyguard though."

Sungjae waved her answer off. "I understand that, but like CEO Lee said, we need you to pose as one of my assistants. We obviously can't have you as an assistant director, so we're going to have you pose as my personal assistant."

Joy looked at him for a long time, as though inspecting him. Sungjae shivered. It felt as though she could see right through him.

"Alright," she finally said.

"Excellent," Sungjae clapped his hands together. "Changsub will help you get to it right away. Don't worry, if Changsub can do it, you can do it too!"

"Hey!" Changsub reached out to hit Sungjae, but Joy instinctively caught his hand. Sungjae looked at her in surprise.

"Wow," Sungjae whistled under his breath. "Maybe I do need a bodyguard instead," he said with a laugh.

Joy's mouth twitched a little. "Thank you for the compliment Sungjae-ssi."

Sungjae's reverie was broken as he heard two knocks on the door.

"Come in," he answered.

A woman wearing a suit came into his office, walking confidently with a clipboard in her hand. "I heard the news," she said in greeting. "You have a new personal assistant now."

Sungjae just nodded, "News travels fast in this building."

"I heard she's beautiful too," the woman teased him as she sat down in front of him. "Where is she?"

"Changsub is showing her around," Sungjae said as casually as he could.

Wait, why am I trying to sound casual? he thought to himself.

Unfortunately, his guest caught onto his tone. "Are you jealous, Sungjae?"

Sungjae groaned. "Don't you have any meetings to attend to, International Affairs Director?"