Chapter 3: The Request

CUBE Division Company Building – Seoul, Korea

--

Sungjae was standing outside the CUBE Division's CEO's office with Changsub. He raised his fist and knocked twice on the door.

"Enter."

Sungjae opened the door and walked into the spacious office with Changsub following closely behind him. The CEO was sitting on a couch in front of a coffee table. His secretary was standing behind him, clipboard in hand.

"Sungjae!" The CEO stood up to shake his hand. "How's my favourite director doing?"

Changsub cut in quickly, "I caught him in the laboratory yesterday, Mr Lee."

Lee Dong Wook merely laughed. "You couldn't have left your experiment to one of the lab techs?"

"That's what I said too!" Changsub laughed with Dong Wook.

Sungjae just shook his head, "I don't trust those inexperienced techs," he replied coldly.

Changsub's smile faltered. "Hey, it was just a joke."

"I wasn't joking."

Dong Wook clapped his hands together and clasped Sungjae's shoulder. "That's what I like about you Sungjae. You're always willing to be on the front line of innovation. Take a seat."

The two younger men took a seat in front of Lee Dong Wook, unbuttoning their suit jackets as they did so.

"Coffee, tea?" the CEO offered.

"Coffee, please," Sungjae said as Changsub also ordered a coffee. The secretary left the room, closing the door carefully behind her.

Dong Wook waited until the door was fully closed before talking.

"So, what kind of experiments were you doing this time, Sungjae?" he asked with great anticipation.

Lee Dong Wook was always like that with Sungjae. Sungjae couldn't remember exactly, but Lee Dong Wook had shown up one day in one of the R&D buildings that Sungjae was working at and exclaimed loudly that he had finally found him. According to him, he and Sungjae had been friends before his memory loss.

"No matter," Dong Wook had said. "We can be friends again. Let me know if you need anything at all."

True to his word, Dong Wook had taken care of Sungjae as though they were brothers. When Sungjae had expressed his mild displeasure with the restrictions that he was under while working with the military, Dong Wook had instantly offered him a job at his company.

It had taken a bit of time but eventually, Sungjae came around.

Well, Sungjae just wasn't willing to go unless Changsub went with him.

And that's how they both came to work at CUBE Division. Sungjae as a director, and Changsub as his assistant director.

The secretary returned with their refreshments and the three men began their morning meeting.

--

ROKA Close Protection Unit Headquarters - Seoul, Korea

--

Joy and her team walked up the steps to the building where Irene and her staff were awaiting their return.

Joy quickly saluted Irene and reported in. "Captain Park Sooyoung, returning from ambassador protection detail."

Irene returned her salute and welcomed the team back. "Job well done," she said. "Any trouble?"

Joy shook her head, "Nothing we couldn't handle."