Chapter 8: Distracted

Mr. Yook Sungjae, we are sorry to inform you that we could not find the documents that you requested...

Sungjae looked up from his phone as he heard Joy approaching from further down the hallway. She held a tablet in her hand with CUBE Division's logo emblazoned on the back.

"Something wrong, Sungjae-ssi?" she asked him, noticing his frown.

"Nothing important," he told her as he slipped his phone into a pocket. "Where is Changsub?"

"He's going to meet us downstairs," she informed him as she pressed the down button for the elevator. "It's his turn to get the car."

Sungjae nodded as he stepped into the elevator, Joy following closely behind him.

Ever since Changsub had given him his blessing to work in the laboratory, Sungjae had taken full advantage of his newfound freedom. On her side, Joy continued to follow him down and assist him.

Sungjae revelled in the fact that he finally had a partner that wasn't hindering him and was slowly opening up to her. If he had to put it into words, he felt comfortable around her in a way that he hadn't felt around someone since the accident. To him, Joy was simply giving him joy, supporting him and making sure that he didn't go too overboard.

However, there were times that he caught himself staring at her, trying to figure out the mystery of who she was in his lost memories. There were times where she understood him at such an intimate level that he wondered if his dreams weren't just dreams.

Sungjae shook his head, clearing his thoughts before he looked over at Joy who was currently checking something on her tablet. She was scrolling through one of the documents pertaining to today's meeting.

He cleared his throat, asking for her attention, "Which company are we seeing today?"

"We're going to be looking at SM Research's Generation Branch," Joy swiped on the tablet and brought out a quick introductory file for Sungjae. "SM Research has various branches focussing on different research fields. Their Generation Branch focuses on medical research."

Sungjae took the proffered tablet and looked at the information block. "Why are we going to a medical research facility? And why is called their Generation Branch?"

"Incorporating a strong medical background into defense research allows for more opportunities to be explored in greater detail," Joy explained to him, parroting what Changsub had told her earlier. "As for the name, I have no idea. Perhaps you can ask their representative when they take us around their facilities."

"Alright," Sungjae returned the tablet to Joy as the elevator doors opened. "Is Changsub driving today?"

"All of the drivers have been booked for CEO Lee's press conference. The other department directors and executive members needed to have someone drive them."

Sungjae frowned, "Why was I not needed there?"

"SM Research could only accommodate us today," Joy answered as she opened the door and slipped smoothly into the backseat while Sungjae did the same.

"Good morning everyone, welcome to Changsub's express service," Changsub said cheerfully as he peered at the back through his rearview mirror, hoping to gauge the pair's reaction. Joy was still looking at her tablet while Sungjae was checking his watch.

"Hyung, let's go," he said with a sense of urgency in his voice.

"Don't worry, Sungjae," Changsub took hold of the gear shift. "Leave it to me."

--

Thirty minutes later, Sungjae, Joy, and Changsub walked into SM Research's lobby. A water fountain had been placed in the middle of the lobby, while chimes played softly over the speakers, providing a soothing atmosphere.