Chapter Six: Go Clean Yourself

     I sat at my office desk trying to figure out what I wanted to lunch. It was Friday and this past week had gone by so slowly. After my little excursion with Trevor, I decided to stay the night. I even called in sick the next day. I’m sure Kevin thought I was avoiding him… Because I was. It is virtually impossible to look at him after what I had to endure. Somebody, please feel some sympathy.

     My thoughts went to what my weekend might have in store. Becca was definitely leaving me next week. I hadn’t asked Trevor to stay with me, because I wasn’t sure if we were that far along yet. Plus, he had his own life in another city. I considered asking Harlan. He could cook me food and we could have sex. Still, I wasn’t sure what I was going to do.

     Tonight, Becca had persuaded me into checking out that club downtown. I was just happy to get out. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn’t realize that the office phone was ringing.

     “Porter Enterprises. This is Mr. Porter’s secretary, how may I assist you today?”

     “Jasmin, this is Greg.”

     I rolled my eyes. “I’m at work, hun. Is it important?”

     “Yes, it’s very important. I need to take you shopping tonight so that you have an outfit for tomorrow.”

     Tomorrow…tomorrow… I knew that the next day was Saturday, but what was so important about it? “Babe, stop talking in riddles. What are you talking about?”

     “You forgot, didn’t you?”

     “Obviously I forgot. I wouldn’t be shitting with you about it if I knew what we were talking about.”

     “You’re meeting my parents tomorrow.”

     “Shit, shit, shit.”

     “I can’t cancel on them. This is the third time they’ve tried to meet you.”

     “No, it’s fine. I was going to go out tonight, but it will have to wait until next week.” I kept a slight whine to my voice so he would know how stupid this was.

     I had really been looking forward to this evening. So much for that. Well, maybe I could still have some fun, but not go to the club. I thought through my options. The near future looked so bleak. Kevin was going to be in from his lunch break soon and I knew I had to get off the phone.

     “I’ll see you tonight, Greg. Bye.” I hung up and leaned back in my chair. “God, why does my life suck?” I asked the air.

     “Because you’re so good at it.”

     My brows furrow as I spun around, only to go up in surprise. Standing before me was someone holding a huge bouquet of assorted flowers in front of his face. He poked his head out from behind the flowers which only caused me to squeal with delight. I shot up out of my seat and practically jumped him. I actually forgot my surroundings for a few moments. “Trevor! Oh my god! You didn’t have to do this.”

     “I know. I just wanted to surprise you; and if I get this kind of response, I might do this more often.” He set me down and wrapped an arm around my waist. Pulling me impossibly closer, he kissed me like his life depended on it. “Man, I missed you.”

     “I missed you too. This week has been so ridiculously long.”

     Someone cleared their throat behind me. Shit, Kevin. I turned and noticed my boss glaring behind me. Double shit!