and

The trial of Mia Fey's death has continued on for days, and eventually it came to an end. Maya Fey was declared not guilty, and Edgeworth has lost the case.

"I can't believe this!" The disappointed prosecutor slammed the table in anger.

"After so many years, why do we have to meet there?!"

You stood a few steps away in distraught, watching the prosectuor raged out his frustration.

"T-There's always an n-next time...The trial is already over, and there's nothing we can do about it, r-right?" You tried to calm him down.

"You don't get it," he turned to face you, "sorry for raging out here."

"I-It's fine! I don't mind listening at all!" You said with a wide smile to reassure him.

"It's getting late, allow me to take you home," He demanded, putting his suit over his shoulder, preparing to leave the place.

You nodded as you followed him from behind.

You opened your mouth in an attempt to say something to cheer the prosecutor up but rejected that idea.

You tilted your head towards the mirror and stared at your reflection until your eyes met someone else.

"Something to say?" He questioned.

You panicked, avoiding eye contact from the driver.

"...I wanted to tell you not to be bothered by today's trial, and, uh, cheer up?", you simpered, unable to face him.

He kept quiet.

It stayed like this till he reached your house, you clicked the door open ready to leave, but he said something that remained in your mind for that night.

It wasn't anything special.

It was commonly used.

Yet, hearing those words coming out from his mouth felt different and unique.

"Thank you," he said while facing you, and you swore you saw his precious smile. However, the smile left as soon as it came.

A month passed ever since that defeat, though it didn't seem to have affected Edgeworth's customers. You were still working hard day and night to be the best assistant for the best prosecutor.

Both of you managed to close yet another case with a victory.

It was late, but he hasn't left the office yet, still looking through the documents and paperworks that you completed earlier.

He asked you to leave first as he wanted to stay abit later, and he didn't want you to go home late.

"If there's nothing else for me, then I'll get going first," you bowed slightly in respect.

You turned to hold onto the doorknob, but instead of leaving, you stayed that way.

"Uhh..S-Sir, are you free after y-you've completed what you intend to d-do..?", You queried.

"Yes, why is that so," he replied while flipping through papers.

"I-I w-wanted to a-ask uhhh," you stuttered, running your shaky fingers through your sliky [h/c] hair.

You swallowed dryly, unable to wet your parched throat before continuing your words, "ifyouwanttoeatdinnertogether."

Your face flushed red in embarrassment for asking such a question. It was true that you and Edgeworth have gotten closer during these months.

Sometimes both of you would have a short chats about life, sometimes he would share a few little small problems about him, and you would do the same.

Both of you were at least friends with one another, or that's what you would like to believe.

Never once had any of you shared about your past, fears or anything really personal.

Your only interaction was in the office, and on the way home, sometimes on the way to work.

Maybe that's why you were still shy to ask him out for dinner, the fact that it sounded like a date too.

He was surprised with that sudden question.

He didn't knew how to reply, but it wasn't like he didn't want to eat with you. It was more of he hoped that he doesn't give you the wrong intention.

His eyes bore into you, increasing the anxiety you're feeling.

The silence was long enough before you decided to be more brave and locked eyes with him.

Which was something you definitely regret.

You quickly turned your back on him.

"I-I said nothing! Well then, I'll s-s-see you t-tomorrow!" You pulled the door opened and slammed it behind you.

You started dashing out of the building and to the bus stop to take the usual bus home.

Why did I even ask him for dinner??

No, why am I even panicking?? Isn't it just eating????

Did I give him the wrong idea?!?!?

Oh geez I messed up reeeaaal bad.

What if he thought that I like him???

You huffed, looking at your shoe. Of all things you could panicked about, you panicked over a meal!

Great job, [Y/n]. Great job.

He probably thinks you're weird now.

It was so rushed and messed up you didn't know how to face him tomorrow.

Little did you know,

"I haven't answer you yet, idiot."