leave

Read this in black screen.

You entered the office, knowing that you have to deal with Miles-gave-a-heartwarming-promise-only-to-break-it Edgeworth.

"Can we talk?" Edgeworth stood up and walked towards you.

"Quick, I've got work to do," you clicked your tongue in annoyance.

"I'm not going to give you anything today. I want to solve this problem," Edgeworth closed the door behind you, trapping you inside the room.

"Whatever you say, not like it can be trusted," you talked back as you had no choice but to be in the same room as him.

"I'm sorry about yesterday, I really am." He looked at you sincerely.

"Okay, so? Explain yourself. Why are you the god damn prosecutor for my case? What were you trying to do? Get me claimed guilty? Blame me? Sure," you told him off.

"I didn't mean to get you guilty or anything! I didn't want anyone else to be the prosecutor and get you claimed as guil-"

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY CLAIMING ME AS GUILTY?" You interrupted his sentence.

"Did you NOT believe that I didn't murder anyone? That you were scared that I would be guilty because I did? I have a clear conscience, so why are you afraid that I would get arrested when I did nothing?" You bawled out.

"I didn't mean anything like that! I only wanted to help you in this case together. In the very end, I still worked together with Phoneix to get you out of this mess!" He defended.

"Alright, and how was I supposed to know that you were truthful about it? The way you questioned me yesterday was hurtful. It was as if you kept trying to get me to say that 'I am the murderer'," you rebuked.

"I had to be professional in any trial, even if you were the suspect!" He held onto your hand, trying to get you to forgive him.

"I don't get it, the day before you told me, "even if the world were against me, you would be here for me", and the next day you proved yourself wrong." You shook his hand away.

"I..I'm sorry. I'm sorry about it. I promise I will let you know beforehand, and I am still here for you. I have never doubted you," he apologised again.

You stayed silent.

"It was my fault, I should have thought about my actions carefully. I didn't know it would hurt you that badly. I promise that I would think carefully about my ac-"

"Stop, you kept making promises, but do you even intend to keep it? Stop making them if you can't stay true," you cut him off again.

"I intend to," he replied.

"Take that mug," you pointed to an empty mug on his desk.

He took it.

"Drop it," you ordered.

He was hesitant, but he still did it.

"Now say sorry and make promises to it, tell that mug that you would promise to hold it properly," you demanded.

"Wait what are you do-," he stopped and decided not to argue with you, "Sorry, I'll hold you properly next time."

"Is it fixed now?" You questioned.

"No..?" He was confused.

"Well that mug is me," you pointed out.

He thought about it for awhile and realised what you were trying to portray.

"I'm taking today off. I need to rest. If you refused to, then I'll resign. It would be better medicine than staying home for a day." You walked out of the office, leaving the door still open.

He looked at the mug and the door, and he was sorry.

For once, he didn't just felt sorry for his pathetic self.

He felt sorry that he had hurt someone.

Cold. Heartless. Merciless.

But he was warm, loving, and forgiving towards you.

Yet, he felt again the pain and loneliness he lost after meeting you.

He shouldn't have.

You shouldn't have.

Maybe it was better if we didn't meet?

Maybe it could have been worse.

After all, he couldn't just give up.

In all the trials Edgeworth had been in, he never gave up when things went difficult. He would still find a way to win the case.

Just like that, he is determined to find a way back to your heart.

He can't lose this case.

You hurt me, Edgeworth.