Chapter 25

Songs:

Green light by 5 Seconds of Summer(damn)

Blackbird by the Beatles(weirdos)

Just Another Girl by The Killers(dem boys damn it)

Mr. Brightside also by The Killers(really tho I hate them)

·····JACK·····

After laying in the grass for another hour, I got up, dragging Kay with me. She didn't really wanna leave, and to be honest, neither did I. I could lay in the grass forever with her, knowing that she was staying for another week. She didn't even call her parents and ask them, which I found a little weird. She told me she had texted Kari, but she wouldn't answer anything else, so I let it alone, comfortable enough in the silence.

I drag her to the car with me, never letting go of her hand. I open her door for her and do a cheesy little bow, making her laugh. Jogging over to my side of the car, I think that we aren't gonna make it, it was my whole plan to get to the bridge at 8, but there would have to be little traffic for us to get there on time, and in New York, there was no such thing as 'little traffic'.

As I drove I let Kay play her music, because I like when she sings along and gets right into it. I try to sing along, but I don't know much of the songs she plays, mostly just the choruses from replaying.a

I try not to let my eyes flit over to the clock on the dash too much, knowing that it'll just make it more nerve wracking. I don't know why I'm nervous. I guess I'm afraid she'll think it's all stupid. A waste of her time. It's cheesy as hell, I guess, but I haven't seen or heard of any guys actually doing this before. It's only cheesy im the stories, so maybe I'm okay. If she even likes it.

"You okay?" Kay asks with a laugh in between the silent change of songs. She noticed my knees bouncing, a habit I got as a kid when I got nervous. I look over and wink at her, not wanting to open my mouth for fear I ruin the surprise. A small giggle falls from her lips as she starts singing along to the next song, softly this time, not wanting to miss anything.

We drove in silence besides the music, and even though we didn't talk, the music stayed on its level, neither of us bold enough to turn it louder for fear of the awkwardness. Or maybe it was just me.

I start to unconsciously, clumsily, but still on-beat-ed-ly drum my fingers on the steering wheel, the task only a little difficult due to my lack of knowledge in the rhythm of this particular song.

"What's this called?" I eventually ask, proud of my voice for not spilling my secret.

"It's called Human, by The Killers. This was one of my favourite songs a few years ago." She looks fondly at her phone, the source of the music.

"I like it," I say.

"Do you listen to The Beatles at all?" She asks, looking over at me cautiously, as of I'd yell at her for mentioning the old band.

"Of coarse. I mean, I don't know all the songs, but I know the majority of them," I say, my smile growing wider. It's so much easier to talk to her about music then just sit in silence, awaiting the outcome of this night.

"What's your favourite song?" She asks, her full attention on me now. Her mouth is parted only the tiniest bit, her light eyes steady on my darker ones, her hands placed patiently in her lap. If I could describe her in one word in this moment, it would be intrigued. And I would be willing.

"I really like blackbird as weird as it is. You?" I ask.

"Yesterday. It's by far my favourite. It's what actually made me stumble upon their music. As dumb as it sounds, I also like Hey Jude," she says, and her eyes look down to her hands and then back up to my face in the course of a second.