Chapter 1 - You!

Previously in Oblivious To Him...

I was frozen in my spot, tears beginning to form in my eyes. I knew that Austin had been talking about me and I couldn't believe I fell for that asshole.

I looked up at Oscar and he was staring at me, trying to read my reaction. I felt hot tears roll down my cheek and he wiped one away with his thumb.

"What have you gotten yourself into Goofball?" he asked gently, pulling me into a hug.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _

Wait...

Did Oscar just say what I think he said?

I blinked through my tears and pulled away from him so that I could look him in the eyes.

"What did you just say?" I whispered. Afraid to raise my voice just in case anyone was in the locker room. It didn't help that it felt like all the wind just got sucked out of my lungs either.

A small blush crept up Oscar's cheek and once again he adverted my gaze but I had a feeling it was for a completely different reason this time.

I poked him in the chest to get his gaze back on mine, "Oscar?"

He looked at me and a small smile was lifting up the corners of his lips, "I'm sorry Lana, I didn't exactly want you to find out this way," he looked down and cringed, "I especially didn't want this to happen while I'm in my gym clothes."

"Oscar?" I caught his gaze again, pleading for him to just come out and confirm what he's implying. I've learned my lesson about how oblivious I am when it comes to boys.

"Not here, not in the boy's locker room," he jumped down and held his hand out for me. I hesitated for a moment before I took his warm hand in mine and stepped off the bench.

He cracked open the stall door and poked his head out and looked around, "I think they're gone. We should hurry though, my class is going to end any minute now," he whispered. I nodded my head and let him guide me out of the stall and through the bay of lockers. We exited the stuffy room and into the gym. I took a deep breath of fresh, non-sweaty male air and cleared the fog in my mind.

I pulled on Oscar's hand and stopped him, "Wait. You are Mr. Gneiss Guy right?" I was not going to make the same mistake by blindly following a cute guy without confirmation.

A small blush crept up his cheeks and he rubbed behind his neck with his free hand, "yes."

I released my hand from his and crossed my arms, "prove it then."

He raised his eyebrow at me and smiled that one dimpled smile that made my stomach fill with butterflies. A smile that supposedly belongs to my best friend.

"Come with me," he said, reaching for my hand again.

I sidestepped him and shook my head, "not until I know for sure."

He sighed and ran his hand through his curly hair, "do you remember the first time I emailed you? It was technically written for my grandmother but that's not entirely true."

"What do you mean?"

"I will explain everything later, but for now, is that enough proof for you to be willing to follow me?" he smiled sheepishly, "I really did not want you to find out in the middle of the school gym."

I rolled my eyes and nodded my head, "you're so dramatic but fine," I reached for his hand again and clasped it, "lead the way."

He smiled and lead me further into the school until we stopped in front of what I assumed was his locker. He reluctantly released my hand and twisted the combination lock and popped it opened. He pulled out a pair of familiar black converse and his backpack. "Here, hold these," he handed me the shoes I have seen in pictures for the last couple of years and my heart skipped a beat.